Bengaluru 1-bed at ₹64,710,000 and ₹177,900/month — does the yield justify it?

KitWren

Landlord
I’m assessing a 1-bed condo in Bengaluru at ₹64,710,000, with expected rent of ₹177,900 per month. That gives a headline gross yield of roughly 3.3%.

Demand appears credible and the building looks sound, but the margin feels thin once I include vacancy, management, routine maintenance, insurance and a reserve for a larger repair. Property tax, financing sensitivity, tenant turnover and possible rental-regulation changes could weaken it further.

Which Bengaluru ownership cost am I most likely underestimating? At this price, what net yield would compensate you for the risk?
 
At 3.3% gross, I would not start by choosing an acceptable net yield; I’d first establish whether the rent survives verification. Is ₹177,900 based on an existing tenancy, comparable signed leases, or an agent’s asking-rent estimate? A small rent shortfall plus one empty month could change an already narrow result considerably.
 
The line I would stress hardest is building or association maintenance. Don’t rely only on the current monthly charge: ask what it covers, whether owners face separate contributions for major works, and whether any expensive common-area work is being discussed. Your repair reserve covers the unit, but the building can create a second category of costs.
 
I’m less worried about identifying one hidden bill than about the overall spread. Gross annual rent is ₹2,134,800 against ₹64,710,000. Every recurring expense comes out of that 3.3%, before considering financing. Unless there is a strong non-rental reason for this particular condo, the cash yield leaves little room for estimation errors.
 
That is fair, but yield alone may not settle it. The buyer could value the location, future personal use or long holding period. Still, those are reasons to accept a low return, not evidence that the rental works better. I’d separate the investment case from any lifestyle or appreciation assumptions and make sure the rent supports the former on its own.
 
How is the condo being delivered—occupied, vacant but ready, or needing furnishing and setup? For a 1-bed, turnover costs can arrive in clusters: vacancy, cleaning, minor repairs and management or leasing expenses at the same time. A smooth annual allowance can hide the cash-flow impact of one changeover.
 
Run three simple cases rather than debating one target yield: expected rent and normal occupancy; lower rent plus longer vacancy; and the same downside case with a major repair or building charge. Then repeat them with your actual financing terms. If debt is involved, rate and repayment sensitivity may matter more than insurance.
 
Before deciding, I’d request the actual property-tax amount, recent maintenance bills, details of what the monthly building charge includes, and evidence supporting ₹177,900 rent. Also clarify who pays each recurring charge under the intended tenancy. If the deal only looks acceptable when every assumption lands perfectly, 3.3% gross is probably not enough compensation.
 
Back
Top