Berlin 1-bed at €970,600 and €4,941/month — does the net yield hold up?

radar.round

Market analyst
Established
Market Reporter
The 6.1% gross yield looks attractive, but the rent assumption carries most of the case. I’m reviewing a Berlin one-bedroom new-build flat priced at €970,600, with expected monthly rent stated as €4,941.

The building appears sound, yet I do not have a clear split between rent and any included charges. My downside calculation allows for vacancy, management, routine upkeep, insurance and a reserve for a larger repair; after those deductions, the cash flow is far less appealing. I may also be understating non-recoverable building costs or property tax. Which figure would you verify first, and how would you decide whether the remaining net return justifies the risk?
 
First establish exactly what the €4,941 represents: cold rent, warm rent, furnished rent or a short-term assumption. If it includes costs that pass through to utilities or building services, treating the whole amount as rental income will overstate the yield.

I would also separate non-recoverable building charges, property tax, insurance and management rather than applying one broad expense percentage.
 
Good point. The €4,941 figure was presented as expected monthly rent, but I don’t yet have a clean split between rent and any included charges. I’ll request that before relying on the 6.1%.

Would you model vacancy and tenant turnover separately? I currently have a vacancy allowance, but not an additional amount for reletting, cleaning or a gap caused by repairs between tenants.
 
Yes, separate them. Vacancy is lost income; turnover creates costs even when the empty period is short. Management may also charge separately for finding a tenant, so confirm what the quoted fee actually covers.

My larger concern is the rent assumption. €4,941 for a 1-bed is carrying this deal. I would want evidence that it is achievable for this exact letting format and sustainable under the applicable Berlin rules, not merely an optimistic listing estimate.
 
A target net yield and a financing stress test are both reasonable, but I would not let the first substitute for the second. An unleveraged calculation may look stable even when interest and repayments leave almost no monthly margin.

Run the stated rent, a reduced-rent case, and a case combining lower rent with longer vacancy and higher insurance. Add acquisition costs, non-recoverable building expenses and the repair reserve. Then verify the actual loan terms and obtain a documented breakdown of what the €4,941 includes. Those facts will show whether an ordinary setback merely reduces the return or turns cash flow negative.
 
Back
Top