Best time for an independent inspection of a Bengaluru new build?

luca.east

Homeowner
Established
I would like defects recorded before I take possession, but the builder is relying on the municipal checks and discouraging a separate visit. This is a 1-bed coastal home advertised as near Bengaluru, and I am particularly concerned about moisture, drainage, insulation and finishing quality.

Would an independent inspection shortly before handover be the most useful option, assuming access is allowed? A second check near the defect-period deadline might catch issues that appear after occupation, but paying for both immediately would reduce the money available for moving, service charges, the first mortgage payment and essential furniture. I want to preserve the emergency fund rather than spend it based on a general fear. Experiences with comparable completed homes in the area would help.
 
A municipal check and an inspection for your benefit are not really substitutes. If the builder allows access, I would inspect shortly before handover, leaving enough time for defects to be recorded and addressed. Then keep the option of a second, narrower inspection near the end of the defect period if the first visit finds significant issues or problems emerge after occupation.
 
Before choosing the timing, ask two things: will the builder permit an independent inspector onto the site before completion, and exactly when does the defect period begin and end? Also, what does “coastal home near Bengaluru” mean in this listing? The precise setting could affect which drainage, moisture and exterior details deserve attention.
 
Good point about access. If only one inspection is affordable, I would prioritise the last permitted visit before possession rather than waiting until the defect period is nearly over. Photograph and list every finding, including minor finish defects. Keep some cash untouched for immediate repairs and the insurance excess instead of assuming the builder will resolve everything quickly.
 
I’m not convinced two inspections are automatically worth the cost for a 1-bed home. A thorough pre-handover inspection plus your own careful checks after moving in may be enough. The deciding factor should be what the first inspection uncovers. If it shows recurring dampness, poor drainage or unfinished work, a later reinspection becomes easier to justify.
 
That is fair. I would also delay fitted or expensive furniture until any drainage, insulation or wall-finish concerns are settled. Moving furniture repeatedly can turn a manageable defect into an expensive nuisance. The inspection budget should be considered alongside the first mortgage payment and initial service charges, not taken entirely from the emergency fund.
 
Ask for the service-charge amount and payment timing now as well. Buyers often focus on the purchase and inspection, then several early costs arrive together. A sensible sequence would be: reserve moving and mortgage money, preserve an emergency buffer, obtain the inspection quote, and only then decide whether there is room for a second visit.
 
I’d make the next step very practical: get written confirmation of pre-handover access, note the defect-period dates, and ask prospective inspectors what stages they can attend and what their inspection covers. Compare that with the builder’s own handover process. You can then choose one well-timed inspection rather than paying for visits that duplicate each other.
 
Back
Top