Boston 1-bed country home: does 6.9% gross survive the real costs?

xavi_flint

Property manager
Established
I’m deciding whether to pursue a 1-bed country home in Boston at $1,100,000. Expected rent is $6,294/month, giving the broker’s headline gross yield of roughly 6.9%.

The building appears sound, but insurance could materially alter the deal. My model already includes vacancy, management, routine maintenance and a separate reserve for a larger repair. Which local ownership cost am I most likely underestimating—insurance, property tax, turnover or something else? I’d also be interested in what net yield would justify the risk for others, because the broker’s calculation excludes too much.
 
The rent is $75,528 annually, so the gross calculation is right. I would focus first on the actual property-tax bill and an address-specific insurance quote. Those are harder to soften through management and can quickly consume the apparent margin. Don’t estimate either as a percentage if the current documents and quotes are available.
 
Also, is this Boston proper, and are you assessing it as an all-cash purchase or with financing? “Country home” is an unusual description for the location, and the exact parcel matters for tax and insurance. Financing won’t change the property’s operating yield, but it can completely change your cash flow.
 
Insurance deserves more than one placeholder number. Ask what the premium actually covers, the deductible, relevant exclusions and the basis used for rebuilding costs. A cheap quote with a large gap in coverage does not make the investment safer. I’d also confirm that the proposed rental use is acceptable to the insurer rather than assuming a normal owner-occupied quote applies.
 
Now that insurance is being broken out properly, the next question is whether the deal survives less favourable borrowing terms. I’d calculate the return on the $1,100,000 property before introducing any loan, keeping maintenance and capital reserves in that first model. Then add debt service separately and run one case with a higher interest rate and another where refinancing is unattractive. That will show whether weak cash flow comes from the property itself or the financing.
 
Tenant turnover may be the quiet leak here. Vacancy is only part of it: cleaning, marketing, minor repairs and management work can arrive together between tenants. For a 1-bed, I’d model a turnover event explicitly rather than treating vacancy and maintenance as smooth monthly percentages.
 
There’s a risk of becoming too conservative as well. If routine maintenance, turnover work and the larger repair reserve overlap, the same expense may be counted twice. I’m not defending the broker’s 6.9%, but I’d separate recurring operating expenses from capital reserves so you can see the actual reason the deal passes or fails.
 
That’s fair, but vacancy and turnover are not duplicates. Vacancy is lost rent; turnover is the cost of preparing and placing the next tenant. Mohammed should keep both, while checking that repainting or appliance replacement isn’t also buried in two maintenance categories.
 
Helpful distinction. I’m going to rebuild the sheet with separate columns for lost rent, turnover work, ordinary maintenance and the larger reserve, then check for overlap. I don’t yet have a firm insurance quote or the parcel’s current tax bill, so I’m treating the 6.9% as advertising rather than a decision figure. I’ll also keep the property return separate from any financing scenario.
 
Before refining percentages, verify that $6,294 is achievable for this exact 1-bed and rental arrangement. Expected rent is not collected rent. Compare genuinely similar units and ask what evidence supports the broker’s figure. A modest rent miss affects every year, whereas some repair costs are occasional.
 
Be precise about what you call “net yield.” Net operating income usually answers a different question from cash flow after financing and from returns after major capital spending. Put all three on the sheet. Otherwise two people can look at the same property and report different net yields while both calculations are internally consistent.
 
A simple annual bridge would help: start with $75,528 potential rent, subtract vacancy and collection loss, then management, property tax, insurance, routine maintenance and other owner-paid operating costs. Show turnover and the larger reserve separately beneath that. Divide each subtotal by $1,100,000. You’ll immediately see which assumption is carrying the deal.
 
I’d ask for evidence behind both sides of the model: the current tax amount and insurance information on the cost side, plus support for the $6,294 rent on the income side. If either is still only a broker estimate, run a less favorable case rather than splitting the difference and calling it conservative.
 
The decision shouldn’t turn on a universal net-yield hurdle. Compare the resulting unleveraged yield with alternatives available to you, then ask whether the extra work, concentration, tenant turnover and repair uncertainty are adequately rewarded. If the deal only looks acceptable when rent is perfect, vacancy is minimal and insurance lands at the hopeful quote, the margin of safety is too thin.
 
Back
Top