I’m deciding whether to pursue a 1-bed country home in Boston at $1,100,000. Expected rent is $6,294/month, giving the broker’s headline gross yield of roughly 6.9%.
The building appears sound, but insurance could materially alter the deal. My model already includes vacancy, management, routine maintenance and a separate reserve for a larger repair. Which local ownership cost am I most likely underestimating—insurance, property tax, turnover or something else? I’d also be interested in what net yield would justify the risk for others, because the broker’s calculation excludes too much.
The building appears sound, but insurance could materially alter the deal. My model already includes vacancy, management, routine maintenance and a separate reserve for a larger repair. Which local ownership cost am I most likely underestimating—insurance, property tax, turnover or something else? I’d also be interested in what net yield would justify the risk for others, because the broker’s calculation excludes too much.