Buenos Aires 2-bed at ARS 1.073bn: does the rent justify the risk?

drawsAndPebble

Property investor
I’m deciding whether to pursue a 2-bed coastal home in Buenos Aires at ARS 1,073,000,000. Expected rent is ARS 4,552,000/month, giving the broker’s headline gross yield of roughly 5.1%.

The building appears sound, but its reserves and future owner contributions could materially change the deal. My model already allows for vacancy, management, routine maintenance and one larger repair reserve. Before making an offer, what local ownership cost am I most likely understating—building expenses, insurance, property tax or tenant turnover? Also, what net yield would make this risk worthwhile to you?
 
At 5.1% gross, I would focus first on the building’s recurring charges and reserve position. A large owner-only contribution could consume much of an already narrow margin. Ask for the recent expense history, current reserve balance and details of planned works. Then add property tax and insurance separately rather than assuming either is buried in the building charges.
 
Are the purchase price and rent both current figures, and is ARS 4,552,000 for a long-term unfurnished tenancy or something with higher turnover? That distinction matters. I’d also want to know whether “Buenos Aires” means the city or elsewhere in the province, because the coastal description is otherwise a little unclear and could affect management and vacancy assumptions.
 
The basic arithmetic also shows how little room there is: annual rent is ARS 54,624,000 before one empty month, management, repairs, insurance, taxes or building costs. I wouldn’t choose a required net yield until the rent basis and likely turnover are clear. A higher advertised rent can be worse if it depends on frequent re-letting and furnishing costs.
 
I agree the margin is thin, but I wouldn’t reject it solely because 5.1% is the gross figure. The financing structure matters. If debt is involved, test repayments against vacancy and repair scenarios; if it is a cash purchase, compare the resulting net income with the other uses for that capital. Also make sure price, rent and expense assumptions all refer to the same point in time.
 
I’d build three cases rather than one conservative estimate: normal occupancy, one turnover with vacancy and preparation costs, and a year containing both vacancy and a major building contribution. Include management during empty periods if applicable. If the third case forces you to inject cash—especially with financing—then either the offer price needs to fall or the building records need to be unusually reassuring.
 
A useful reverse calculation: a 4% net return on ARS 1,073,000,000 requires annual net income of ARS 42,920,000. Against gross annual rent of ARS 54,624,000, that leaves ARS 11,704,000 for every operating cost and vacancy allowance combined. Put actual building expenses, tax, insurance, management and reserves into that envelope. If they exceed it, the property cannot deliver 4% net at the stated price and rent.
 
Back
Top