Buy in Berlin at 5.58%, or wait and risk more competition?

sailsAndWall

Homeowner
Established
If I buy now and later discover that the loan only worked because I assumed an easy refinance, the mistake could be expensive to unwind. The Berlin property is €524,400 and the current financing quote is 5.58%. I can manage that payment, but waiting could mean either cheaper borrowing or stronger competition for the available homes.

What would you test before choosing? I’m thinking of a case where rates do not fall, a future reset is higher than hoped, and I need to sell sooner than planned. I also want to account for arrangement fees, any cost or restriction attached to early repayment, and the actual break-even point for refinancing rather than assuming a lower future rate automatically saves money.

Germany-specific considerations would be most useful; if a comparison relies on another country’s rules, please identify that.
 
I would first test whether the purchase still works with no refinancing benefit at all. If the monthly payment is comfortable at 5.58%, you retain a cash reserve and you expect to stay long enough to absorb buying and selling costs, a future rate reduction becomes an upside rather than something the deal requires.
 
What loan-to-value are you considering, and for how long is the rate fixed? Those two facts change the answer considerably. Also compare the full borrowing cost over that fixed period, including any arrangement fees, rather than focusing only on 5.58%. A lower advertised rate later may not produce a cheaper overall loan.
 
The detail that weakens the simple “lower rates mean higher prices” argument is that the 5.58% quote is only one part of what buyers can afford. Deposits, income, arrangement fees and the supply of suitable Berlin properties would still limit bids even if borrowing became cheaper.

That supports the earlier suggestion to make the purchase stand on today’s terms. I’d compare the written loan offer with a waiting scenario, including the fixed-rate period, early-repayment conditions, present housing costs and all fees. If buying now remains comfortable without a refinance, a later rate reduction is optional; if the figures require one, waiting may be the narrower risk.
 
Build three simple scenarios over the same comparison period: buy now and keep this financing; buy now and refinance later; wait while the price stays unchanged or rises. Add your present housing cost, purchase costs, arrangement fees and likely moving expenses. The important version is the pessimistic one—no cheap refinance and a resale earlier than planned.
 
The resale point is the part I would emphasise. Even an affordable payment does not make a short ownership period safe, because the property may need to be sold when demand is weak. How certain are you that this property still suits you if work, household size or location needs change? A longer expected stay gives the rate question less power over the decision.
 
Before modelling a refinance, ask the lender exactly what early repayment would involve and whether the mortgage is portable if you move. Don’t assume either feature from discussions about other countries—or from another German borrower’s contract. The written terms and fixed-rate period matter more than a general forecast about rates.
 
I’d also separate “can afford” from “comfortable every month.” Run the budget with higher maintenance and household spending, then see whether you can still save rather than merely make the payment. If buying uses nearly all available cash, waiting could be sensible even if prices rise, because liquidity has value too.
 
The practical decision rule emerging here is: buy only if the property and current loan work without a favourable rate forecast. Then compare waiting against that baseline using the same time horizon and realistic housing costs. If the purchase depends on refinancing quickly, selling easily or rates falling before the reset, you are taking several linked risks rather than one.
 
Back
Top