Buyer’s financing failed late—relist now or tighten the next offer?

small_quill

First-time buyer
Established
The financing condition is what ended our Kuala Lumpur sale; the inspection did not derail it. After losing several weeks, we now have to decide whether speed or a safer second attempt matters more.

My first thought was to relist straight away, but I do not want to carry forward stale paperwork or a price supported only by active listings. Would you first check nearby completed transactions and prepare a simple explanation for enquiries, then set a firm response deadline? For the next bid, I’m weighing headline price against verified financing, limited repair-credit demands and cleaner conditions.
 
I would refresh the paperwork promptly, then relist without a long unexplained gap. Give the agent a short, factual answer for enquiries: the previous buyer did not complete the financing condition; it was not an inspection failure.

For the next offer, stronger financing evidence and a firm response deadline may be worth more than a modest price difference.
 
How was the asking price set—completed transactions or current listings? If the accepted price was above what nearby completed comparables support on a price-per-square-metre basis, the failed financing may point to a possible appraisal gap rather than just a weak buyer. That distinction should affect whether you change the price before relisting.
 
I would not automatically choose the lower offer. Proof of funds can show that someone has cash available, but it does not guarantee approval when most of the purchase still depends on financing.

Compare the whole offer instead: financing condition, evidence of progress with the lender, deadline for satisfying conditions, deposit terms and how any appraisal shortfall would be handled.
 
Also, resist creating a second problem while trying to explain the first. Since the inspection was not the issue, I would not advertise repair credits or start making concessions unless buyers identify something specific. Have the inspection-related records ready where appropriate, but keep the relisting explanation brief. Too much detail can sound defensive and invite speculation.
 
Agreed on not offering repair credits pre-emptively, though I would be careful about saying the inspection “passed” or making any broader assurance. Simply state what actually ended the transaction, subject to whatever disclosure obligations apply in Malaysia.

For price, completed comparables are more useful than ambitious live listings, but price per square metre still needs context such as condition, exact location and the property’s features.
 
Deposit exposure needs attention too. A large stated deposit is not automatically strong protection if the agreement allows the buyer to exit under an unresolved financing condition. Whether any deposit can be retained will depend on the contract and local advice, so I would have that wording examined before accepting another offer rather than after another deadline is missed.
 
A practical way to decide is to score the next offers side by side: net price, financing evidence, condition deadlines, proposed deposit, inspection protection and treatment of an appraisal gap. Add your own motivation—speed, certainty or maximum price—and set the response deadline accordingly. That should make it easier to justify accepting a slightly lower but cleaner offer without assuming that lower always means safer.
 
Back
Top