Cap the valuation shortfall or keep the offer conditional?

gate.strong

Real estate agent
Established
I’d like to make a credible offer near S$1,809,000 without taking on an open-ended cash risk. The obstacle is valuation: I can cover no more than S$50,250 if the lender’s figure comes in low, and a larger gap could undermine the financing.

With the seller’s deadline approaching, should I put that maximum directly into the offer, keep the valuation protection intact, or lower the price and strengthen the other terms? I still need inspection rights and a clear answer on when the deposit could be at risk. I’m trying to choose the protection that cannot be fixed later rather than complicate every clause.
 
I would cap the appraisal-gap promise at S$50,250 and make the wording unambiguous. That gives the seller more certainty than a full valuation condition without turning your cash commitment into an unknown amount. Before submitting, have your lender confirm how a low valuation changes the funds required and what financing proof you can provide.
 
Do you know why the seller values the headline number so highly? If speed or certainty is the real motivation, a lower offer with strong financing proof and a clean response timeline might beat S$1,809,000 with several conditions. Also ask what happens to the deposit if financing fails for reasons connected to the valuation; that depends on the actual contract and local jurisdiction.
 
I would not weaken the valuation condition merely because other bids may exceed completed comparables. Those bids are not completed sales, and the appraisal gap is only one possible cash demand. An inspection could uncover work, and there is no assurance the seller will grant repair credits after accepting a strong price. Keep enough room for both the stated gap and post-inspection costs—or lower the offer.
 
That is the key caveat: S$50,250 should not be treated as the whole contingency budget. I would separate the decisions before the deadline: maximum purchase price, maximum valuation shortfall, and the point where inspection findings justify walking away rather than requesting credits. Then send the lender the proposed price and gap cap, and have the contract language checked for deposit consequences. If those numbers do not work independently, the headline offer is too high.
 
Back
Top