Comparing a 3.55% 30-year fixed mortgage quote in New York

OrlaIves

Buyer
Established
I need to decide which mortgage quote is worth pursuing, and the trade-off is not simply rate versus payment. For a New York purchase of about $425,000, one offer is 3.55% fixed for 30 years, but its fees and loan-to-value bracket make it less straightforward than the headline suggests.

Would you compare the offers by APR, or calculate the cash paid and balance remaining at the point I am most likely to sell or refinance? I am also checking early-payment restrictions, portability and whether the monthly cost remains comfortable without assuming a future refinance. I want to avoid paying heavily upfront for savings that may take too long to recover.
 
I’d compare total cost over the period you realistically expect to keep this loan, not automatically over all 30 years. Include upfront lender fees, monthly payments and the balance remaining at the end of that period. APR is useful for spotting an expensive quote, but it may not reflect your likely timeline if you sell or refinance much earlier.
 
The missing details are your down payment and likely ownership period. A quote in one loan-to-value tier may not be comparable with another, and paying extra upfront can look attractive or terrible depending on how long you keep the mortgage. I’d run at least two timelines—one based on an earlier move or refinance and another where you retain the loan much longer. Also test whether the payment remains comfortable without relying on refinancing.
 
One caveat: don’t give portability much value until the lender explains exactly what it means for this particular mortgage and whether a future transfer would still require approval or different terms. Likewise, verify the precise early-repayment conditions rather than relying on a general description.

With a 30-year fixed quote, rate-reset risk within this loan is not the central issue; the uncertainty comes from assuming you will refinance later. I’d compare the offers first without any refinance assumption, then treat a future refinance as a possible bonus rather than part of the affordability plan.
 
Back
Top