Comparing a 4.44% 30-year fixed mortgage in Tokyo

SimpleLane

First-time buyer
Established
We need to choose a lender shortly, but the cheapest rate today may not be the least expensive loan if we move. The Tokyo purchase is around ¥33,660,000, and one proposal is 4.44% fixed over 30 years. Its fees and our loan-to-value band materially change the cost from the headline promotion.

I am thinking of comparing each offer over several plausible moving dates, including upfront charges, payments, remaining principal and any early-repayment amount. Portability could help, but only if it survives a change of property and a fresh assessment. Is that a better basis than relying mainly on APR? I will also confirm that the rate truly remains fixed for 30 years rather than resetting during the term.
 
Given the possible move, I’d compare total cash cost over several realistic holding periods rather than over 30 years. Include upfront fees, monthly payments, remaining principal at the assumed sale date, and any early-repayment cost. APR is useful only when every lender calculates it on the same basis. I’d also run a monthly-affordability test separately; the cheapest long-term option can still be uncomfortable month to month.
 
Is the quoted loan amount the full ¥33,660,000, or is that only the purchase price? The deposit and resulting loan-to-value could materially change the comparison. I’d also be cautious about giving portability much value until the lender explains whether it depends on the next property and a fresh affordability assessment.
 
That loan amount is the missing number. I’d ask each lender for matching illustrations using the same borrowing amount and term, then put them into three columns: stay 30 years, sell at the most likely date, and sell earlier than planned. For the moving scenarios, assume portability is unavailable unless its conditions are clear. Add a separate refinance scenario, but don’t make a future lower rate necessary for the current loan to be affordable.
 
Back
Top