Comparing a 4.74% 30-year fixed mortgage quote in Berlin

sailsAndWall

Homeowner
Established
The monthly payment is manageable, but I am not sure it tells us whether this is a good deal. The offer is for a Berlin purchase of about €1,012,000, at 4.74% fixed for 30 years. Once the setup charges and our LTV bracket are applied, it is less attractive than the initial pricing suggested.

How would you put this against competing offers: model several likely exit dates, focus on the fixed-term interest, or use another measure? I also need to establish what happens if we move, repay early or try to transfer the mortgage. A long fix protects us from a future rate reset, though that protection may be costly if our plans change.
 
I would want the flexibility to leave without having overpaid heavily, but that makes a 30-year comparison less useful when your moving date is unknown. Build each offer on identical borrowing and repayment assumptions, including every upfront or financed charge.

Then use two branches. For example, compare the balance, payments and exit cost after ten years if you move, and separately calculate the outcome if you retain the mortgage for all 30 years. Treat portability as part of the first branch only after confirming that a move would qualify and whether the lender can reassess you and the new property.
 
That’s the part I’m struggling with: we don’t know whether we’ll stay in this property for 10 years or much longer. The 30-year fix removes rate-reset risk, but it may be poor value if we move earlier. I’ll ask for side-by-side cash flows at several exit dates. Is there anything specific I should request beyond the repayment schedule and early-repayment calculation?
 
Don’t assume the APR settles it. It is useful for comparing similarly structured offers, but your likely exit date can make upfront fees disproportionately important. Ask each lender to show the outstanding balance and cumulative payments at the same selected dates. Also clarify whether “portable” means an automatic transfer or a new affordability and property assessment; the label alone tells you very little.
 
One more practical step: compare a lower loan-to-value case if you could reach the next tier without draining your cash reserve. The rate improvement may or may not justify the extra equity, so calculate both versions. I’d keep monthly affordability as a separate stress test, including a move or income disruption, rather than choosing solely on the lowest lifetime-interest figure.
 
Back
Top