Comparing a 4.93% mortgage quote near Bengaluru

earnest_hill

Property investor
The lender presents 4.93% as an attractive rate on a purchase of roughly ₹108,100,000 near Bengaluru, but I am hesitant because the quote is described as fixed for the entire 30-year term. Fees and the loan-to-value band make it less compelling than the advertised number suggests.

What is the most useful basis for comparing Indian mortgage offers: APR, interest and fees over a chosen ownership period, or the full amount paid? I also need the monthly payment to remain comfortable and want to understand the early-repayment and portability wording. In my figures, this offer wins on rate but loses once the other cash outflows are included.
 
The date when you might sell or refinance drives this choice. Put both offers into the same cash-flow table: fees paid at the start, monthly instalments, and the amount required to exit the loan at that point.

A 4.93% rate may look best but still lose if its upfront charges are high or early repayment is expensive. APR is a useful cross-check, not the answer by itself, because its assumptions may differ from yours. I would test the likely exit point and the full 30 years before deciding.
 
Before comparing anything, can you confirm whether “fixed for 30 years” means the rate is contractually fixed for the full tenure? That wording would be the first thing I’d verify in the formal offer. Also, how long do you expect to own the property, and are the arrangement fees paid in cash or added to the loan?
 
Thirty years is too broad a horizon for one comparison. I would not rely on a single forecast of when you will move or refinance; test an earlier exit, your most likely date and the full term. For example, an offer with heavier initial fees may never recover that disadvantage if you repay sooner than expected.

Find the month when the two offers reach the same cumulative cost. Then verify the fee schedule and early-repayment conditions against the formal offers, since those details determine whether that break-even calculation is real.
 
Loan-to-value also needs to be tested separately. If contributing more cash moves the loan into a better tier, compare the interest saving with the opportunity cost of tying up that extra money. Don’t assume the lowest available LTV is automatically the best household decision.
 
Portability would not be central to my calculation unless the wording clearly explains how it works. Moving the loan may still depend on the next property, timing and lender approval, so I’d treat it as a possible benefit rather than guaranteed savings. Early-repayment terms matter more because they affect a scenario you can model now.
 
Good points. The full-term wording is exactly what I’m going back to clarify rather than relying on the quote summary. I’m now building comparisons at multiple repayment dates, with fees shown both upfront and, where relevant, financed. I’ll also separate the LTV decision from the lender comparison so a larger deposit doesn’t make one offer appear cheaper without showing the extra cash committed.
 
That should expose the trade-offs. Add one stressed monthly-payment column as well, even if the offer is confirmed fixed, because your next financing decision may not be at 4.93%. I’d ask each lender for the same repayment examples and written treatment of fees, early repayment and portability. If their assumptions differ, recalculate them on your own common timeline rather than comparing their headline totals.
 
Back
Top