Comparing a 5.47% five-year fixed mortgage on a €993,600 Madrid purchase

CuriousRadar

Homeowner
The 5.47% rate is only attractive under a narrow comparison. My concern is that fees and the applicable loan-to-value band could make the apparently cheaper quote more expensive over the period I am likely to keep it.

I am comparing finance for a Madrid purchase of about €993,600, with this offer fixed for five years. Should I line up each option using upfront charges, monthly payments and the balance remaining after year five, while keeping APR as a secondary reference? That seems more useful than looking at interest alone.

I also want to compare the risks that do not fit neatly into one cost figure: what happens at the rate reset, whether portability is genuinely available, and how early repayment is treated. Monthly affordability matters now, but I do not want the plan to depend on refinancing being easy in five years.
 
For a five-year decision, I’d compare the actual cash flows over those five years: upfront fees, monthly payments and the remaining balance at the end. APR is useful, but it may not reflect your likely holding or refinancing period neatly. Are all the lenders quoting the same loan amount and loan-to-value band? If not, the headline rates are not directly comparable.
 
I wouldn’t make refinancing the base assumption. At the reset date, rates, affordability criteria and the property value could all produce a different outcome from the one in today’s spreadsheet. Run at least one case where you keep the mortgage and accept a less favourable reset rate.

Portability also deserves careful reading: even if mentioned, find out what conditions apply and whether moving property would trigger fresh affordability or valuation requirements. The cheapest five-year cash total is not necessarily the least restrictive loan.
 
Back
Top