Comparing a 5.61% five-year fixed quote on a $300,000 New York purchase

AdaBrooks

Mortgage adviser
Established
The lender presents 5.61% fixed for five years as a competitive offer, but I am not convinced the rate tells the whole story. This is for a first New York purchase at roughly $300,000, and the fees plus the applicable loan-to-value band make the headline comparison less useful.

Should I rank quotes by APR, interest charged during those five years, or all cash paid over the same period? Portability and early-repayment conditions are part of the decision as well. The payment differences look manageable, so I am leaning toward flexibility rather than automatically choosing the lowest quoted rate, but I need a consistent comparison method.
 
To clarify my decision, I’m not assuming I’ll keep this exact loan indefinitely. I may refinance after five years, but I don’t want the comparison to depend on rates being favorable then. My current thought is to total the payments and upfront fees over five years, then compare the remaining balance and any cost of exiting. Is that a reasonable method?
 
Yes, that is more useful for your stated timeline than comparing the rate alone. Put each quote into the same five-year window: upfront fees, monthly payments, any mortgage insurance tied to the loan-to-value, exit charges, and balance remaining at the end. APR can still be a cross-check, but it may reflect assumptions that do not match a five-year refinance.

Also ask whether “portability” actually preserves the rate and terms or still requires a new approval.
 
The five-year total makes sense, although I hesitate to use it without knowing what payment follows the fixed period. The missing figure for me is the lender’s reset rate or margin, because that determines whether keeping the loan is a realistic fallback.

I would use two branches. If refinancing remains available at year five, compare fees, payments, exit costs and the balance then outstanding. If it is not available, test the reset payment at a deliberately less favourable rate and see whether it still fits the monthly budget. A small saving now is not worthwhile if the second branch becomes unaffordable.
 
Both comparisons are worth keeping. Make a simple table with one row per lender and columns for cash due at closing, five-year payments, remaining balance, early-repayment cost, portability conditions, and the post-fix payment terms. Then run two outcomes: refinance at year five and keep the loan after the rate resets. That should reveal whether the 5.61% quote is genuinely competitive or merely looks good under one assumption.
 
Back
Top