Comparing a 6.79% one-year fixed apartment loan in Singapore

I’ve checked the quoted 6.79% rate and one-year fixed period, but I’m still unclear how to compare it fairly once the arrangement charge and lending tier are included. The apartment purchase is around S$241,200.

My current plan is to calculate all cash paid in year one and the balance left at the end, rather than rely on the headline rate alone. That still depends on the assumption that I refinance after 12 months. Should I also price a scenario where refinancing is delayed, and ask the lender to confirm the follow-on rate, early-repayment terms and whether the loan is portable?
 
For a one-year decision, I would compare total cash paid over that year, including every upfront fee, then separately note the balance remaining at the end. APR can help, but it may blur the result if its assumed comparison period is longer than you expect to keep the loan.
 
Is S$241,200 the purchase price or the actual loan amount? Without the loan principal and term, the monthly difference and impact of the loan-to-value tier are hard to assess. I would also ask what rate applies immediately after the fixed year.
 
I would not assume refinancing after one year will be cheap or available on equally good terms. Run at least one scenario where you keep this loan after the reset. That exposes the rate-reset risk rather than letting an optimistic refinance assumption decide the comparison.
 
The early-repayment wording may outweigh a modest first-year saving. Check whether the restriction covers only full redemption or also partial payments, and whether it extends beyond the fixed period. Portability is useful only if the conditions match the kind of move you might realistically make.
 
I slightly disagree that total first-year cash cost should lead the comparison. If one offer leaves you owing meaningfully less after 12 months, cash paid alone can make it look worse unfairly. Compare: upfront cash, 12 monthly payments, and outstanding balance at month 12.
 
Also separate affordability from value. A payment can fit comfortably each month while still being an expensive loan because of fees. Conversely, a cheaper overall option might create tighter monthly cash flow. Those are two different decisions.
 
Ask both lenders to calculate costs using exactly the same loan amount, repayment term, payment date and assumed redemption date. Advertised examples can differ on more than the headline rate, particularly when your loan-to-value tier changes the available pricing.
 
At 6.79%, I would want clarification on whether that is the nominal fixed rate or an effective figure that already reflects fees. Otherwise there is a risk of adding the arrangement fee twice when building your own comparison.
 
Yes, and the post-fixed rate needs to be expressed clearly rather than described only as a discount or margin. Grace’s one-year horizon makes the month-13 payment a useful stress test even if refinancing remains the preferred plan.
 
How likely is an early sale or move during the first year? If the probability is genuinely low, I would not pay much extra for portability. Flexible terms have value, but it helps to put a realistic scenario against them instead of treating flexibility as automatically better.
 
One simple spreadsheet row per offer should do it: fees paid at completion, total payments through month 12, balance after month 12, early-exit cost, and projected month-13 payment. That keeps the decision tied to your timeline rather than whichever marketing figure looks lowest.
 
Victor’s layout is good, but I would add cash required at completion. The loan-to-value difference may change not only pricing but how much of your own money is tied up. That can matter more than a small monthly saving if it reduces your reserve.
 
Do not count portability at full value until you know what happens if the next property or requested loan falls outside the lender’s criteria. A portable rate is not necessarily an unconditional right to transfer the existing loan unchanged.
 
There is another comparison-period trap: spreading the arrangement fee across a long loan term when the plan is to refinance after one year. For this decision, I would charge the entire non-refundable fee to the first-year scenario unless the lender confirms otherwise.
 
Agreed on the fee, though the refinance scenario should include another set of possible transaction costs rather than assuming a free switch. Grace could compare three cases: refinance after year one, remain after reset, and repay early because of a sale.
 
I would ask for the break-even point between the two leading offers. If the higher-fee option only becomes cheaper after a date later than your likely refinance, it is easy to eliminate. If break-even comes early, then the flexibility clauses become the deciding factor.
 
And test that break-even calculation against the same repayment structure. A lower payment caused by a longer term is not the same as lower borrowing cost. Oscar’s question about the actual loan amount still needs answering before anyone can judge the scale.
 
Given the small monthly difference mentioned, I would shortlist on first-year total cost and then choose between the finalists using exit terms and the month-13 stress case. APR remains a useful cross-check, but it should not override the borrower’s actual one-year plan.
 
My practical order would be: confirm principal and term, get a full fee breakdown, identify the reset rate mechanism, calculate the balance after 12 months, then read the partial-repayment, full-redemption and portability conditions. Only after those match across offers would I compare the monthly payment.
 
Back
Top