Comparing a 7.95% 10-year fixed mortgage quote in Hong Kong

gardensAndCorner

Buyer
Established
I want predictable monthly payments without giving up too much freedom. The obstacle is that the Hong Kong quote fixes 7.95% for 10 years on a purchase around HK$2,106,000, while the fees and borrowing band make the headline figure a poor guide on its own.

My instinct is to model what I would pay if I left early, stayed for a middle period or kept the loan for the full fixed term. Each case would include payments, upfront or financed charges, any exit cost and the balance remaining. Portability could then be judged separately rather than assigned an artificial cash value. What other figures are needed to make the monthly affordability and lender comparison reliable?
 
Before choosing, you need to decide whether an early exit is a realistic possibility or merely a remote one. The cheapest option for the next few years may become expensive if an early-repayment charge applies, while paying extra for portability is wasteful if the mortgage cannot actually transfer to the property you later buy.

I would run several exit dates, including the end of the 10-year fix, and record payments, fees, departure charges and the remaining balance for each. The hardest term to undo is usually the restriction on leaving, so check that wording before letting a small monthly difference settle the choice.
 
Is HK$2,106,000 the purchase price or the actual loan amount? That distinction is essential because you mentioned the loan-to-value tier. The full amortisation term is also missing, so the monthly payment and interest totals can’t yet be compared properly. I’d also confirm whether arrangement fees are paid upfront or added to the borrowing.
 
I slightly disagree with using one expected holding period. People often assume they will refinance or sell on schedule, then circumstances change. I’d run at least three cases: leaving relatively early, staying for a middle period, and keeping the mortgage through the 10-year fixed period. That shows whether the supposedly flexible option remains sensible if your plan slips.
 
Don’t compare interest alone. Two offers can produce similar monthly payments but leave different balances at the comparison date, depending on the loan term and structure. I’d put payments, fees, exit cost and remaining principal on one sheet. Also test whether the payment after the fixed period would still be manageable rather than assuming an easy refinance.
 
The portability wording deserves separate attention. I wouldn’t assign it much value until the lender explains in writing what happens if the new property, loan amount or timing differs from the original arrangement. A feature can sound flexible while still being difficult to use in the situation you actually face. Price that benefit at zero until the conditions are clear.
 
I would still start with APR, provided every lender has calculated it on a genuinely comparable basis. It gives you a quick way to identify which offers deserve a deeper calculation. After that, rebuild the costs using the same loan amount, term, LTV, fee treatment and comparison date. Otherwise the spreadsheet can look precise while comparing different assumptions.
 
Be careful about making refinancing the reason a 7.95% quote looks acceptable. Future rates, valuation and eligibility are unknown. Treat refinancing as an optional upside, not the base case. If flexibility costs slightly more each month, calculate the exact extra amount over your likely holding period and decide whether the early-repayment and portability terms justify that amount.
 
Once the loan amount and full term are known, the practical comparison should be straightforward: request the payment schedule and fee breakdown for each offer, choose common exit dates, record total cash paid and remaining balance, then add any early-repayment cost. Keep a separate column for uncertain benefits such as portability. That should expose whether the lower advertised rate actually wins for your circumstances.
 
Back
Top