Denver serviced apartment: open 9% under $1.35m after 19 days?

I’d like to make a credible offer tonight without giving up protections just to look attractive. The obstacle is the evidence: this Denver serviced apartment is listed at $1,350,000, has been available for 19 days and requires work, but the nearby figures I can see are mainly asking prices.

Our proposed opening is 9% under the list price. We can show strong financing and accommodate the seller’s preferred timing, but how much explanation should accompany the number? I’d rather not turn the offer into a catalogue of faults. I also want inspection, financing and appraisal conditions to remain in place and do not want the deposit exposed if one of those checks fails. Is that position too defensive?
 
Nine percent below is $1,228,500. That is assertive, but not insulting if it reflects the condition and incomplete evidence from closed sales. Keep the explanation short: price accounts for updating and the uncertainty in the available comparables. Include financing proof and flexible timing; don’t send a long critique of the apartment.
 
The 9% depends heavily on whether the work is cosmetic or corrective. Dated kitchen doors, for example, can support the price you choose but are a poor basis for requesting a repair credit later; faulty wiring would be different.

Before setting the wording, ask for any inspection information and a clear list of known defects. Keep the inspection condition until you can verify which category the work falls into.
 
I disagree that 19 days gives much leverage by itself. The seller may see the listing as fresh and counter rather than engage with a 9% reduction. If you would be disappointed to lose it, decide tonight on your actual ceiling and leave enough room to move there. The opening number matters less than having a disciplined response to the counter.
 
Also ask what the seller values besides price. A flexible completion date is useful only if it matches their plans. Your side could ask the listing agent whether timing, certainty of financing, or a straightforward sale matters most, without expecting them to disclose anything confidential.
 
I would submit a clean offer package, not a contingency-free one. Proof of funds or lender evidence can demonstrate seriousness. Inspection, financing and appraisal each protect against a different risk, so waiving all three merely to soften a lower price could create far more exposure than the initial discount saves.
 
For a serviced apartment, I would also want clarity on the service arrangement and ongoing property costs before shortening any investigation period. Even if the unit itself only needs cosmetic work, the broader obligations could affect affordability and possibly the lender’s assessment. Those details may matter more than polishing the rationale for $1,228,500.
 
One caution on appraisal: offering below asking does not eliminate appraisal risk. If completed comparables are scarce, the valuation could still come in below your contract price. I would not promise an unlimited appraisal gap tonight. If you consider covering any gap, cap it at an amount you can fund without touching money needed for updates or closing.
 
Agreed with Hassan. The financing contingency and appraisal language also need to work together; a loan approval may not help if the lender values the apartment too low. The exact effect depends on the contract wording, so this is something to confirm with the local professional preparing the offer rather than assuming the standard form covers every outcome.
 
On repairs, choose a strategy now. Either price the visible updating into the initial offer and reserve inspection requests for significant undisclosed issues, or offer nearer the seller’s number and seek a credit where justified. Trying to take 9% off for condition and then reopening every cosmetic item after inspection is more likely to antagonise them.
 
Don’t let the one-night decision turn into an unnecessarily short response deadline for the seller. Give them a reasonable window unless there is a real competing-offer situation. A very low offer plus a tight expiry can read as pressure; a concise offer with financing evidence and practical timing reads as a genuine negotiation.
 
Before signing, be clear about deposit exposure. How much is due, when does it become at risk, and what happens if you terminate under inspection, financing or appraisal terms? Those answers depend on the actual contract and local practice. The headline price is important, but an ambiguous exit can be the more expensive mistake.
 
My practical sequence tonight: set your absolute ceiling, list the contingencies you will not waive, confirm the cash available for any appraisal shortfall and updates, then send the 9%-below offer with financing evidence and flexible completion options. If they counter, compare it with your ceiling rather than negotiating from emotion. If they reject without countering, you still made a supportable offer rather than guessing from asking prices.
 
Back
Top