I need to decide soon whether to stay with this price range or step down, and the trade-off is monthly affordability versus first-year resilience. On a 4-bed coastal home costing about $450,000, I expect roughly $33,000 to remain after the deposit and estimated closing costs.
That cash would need to cover the move, urgent inspection findings and the period before normal spending settles down. I have not yet resolved possible service charges, the insurance deductible or the exact timing of the first loan payment. Furniture is flexible; essential repairs and a genuine emergency reserve are not.
How much of the $33,000 would you protect completely, and how much could reasonably be available for moving and initial work? For example, I can leave spare bedrooms mostly empty if that keeps us from using emergency cash.
That cash would need to cover the move, urgent inspection findings and the period before normal spending settles down. I have not yet resolved possible service charges, the insurance deductible or the exact timing of the first loan payment. Furniture is flexible; essential repairs and a genuine emergency reserve are not.
How much of the $33,000 would you protect completely, and how much could reasonably be available for moving and initial work? For example, I can leave spare bedrooms mostly empty if that keeps us from using emergency cash.