First-time buyer in San Francisco: how much cash buffer after closing?

direct_map

Homeowner
Established
I need to decide soon whether to stay with this price range or step down, and the trade-off is monthly affordability versus first-year resilience. On a 4-bed coastal home costing about $450,000, I expect roughly $33,000 to remain after the deposit and estimated closing costs.

That cash would need to cover the move, urgent inspection findings and the period before normal spending settles down. I have not yet resolved possible service charges, the insurance deductible or the exact timing of the first loan payment. Furniture is flexible; essential repairs and a genuine emergency reserve are not.

How much of the $33,000 would you protect completely, and how much could reasonably be available for moving and initial work? For example, I can leave spare bedrooms mostly empty if that keeps us from using emergency cash.
 
I’d separate the emergency fund first and treat it as unavailable for moving or furniture. Then reserve money for the move and only the inspection findings that affect safety, weatherproofing or essential systems. Furniture would come last; a 4-bed place does not need to be fully furnished during the first month. The key is not counting the same $33,000 against several possible expenses.
 
One missing piece is the property’s ongoing costs. Have you confirmed whether there are any service charges, and do you have a realistic insurance quote with the deductible/excess shown? For a coastal home, I would want that information before deciding the buffer is comfortable. Also put the first mortgage payment on a calendar so it isn’t accidentally spent during the move.
 
What changed my view was remembering that several ordinary bills can land together. $33,000 may look comfortable as one balance, but it becomes much smaller once moving, insurance and essential inspection work each have their own share.

The hardest decision to reverse is buying at the top of the budget and then discovering that the reserve was partly furniture money. I would keep the emergency amount untouched and exclude cosmetic work and spare-room furnishings from the first-year plan. If the purchase only works by spending that protected sum, moving down in price is the safer adjustment.
 
That distinction helps. I was mentally treating the whole $33,000 as one flexible pot, which makes it look larger than it really is. I’m going to ring-fence the emergency portion, get an actual moving estimate, confirm any service charges and insurance deductible, and leave furniture mostly until later. If the inspection needs a large share of what remains, I’ll reconsider the price rather than drain the reserve.
 
That sounds sensible. Before committing, make a simple closing-to-first-payment cash schedule: funds needed at closing, moving, essential inspection items, insurance, any service charges, then the mortgage payment. Keep the emergency fund outside that schedule. If the numbers only work by assuming no repairs or by furnishing everything on day one, the target price is still too high.
 
Back
Top