Helsinki new-build 1-bed at €519,800 and €3,007/month — sanity check

WideRoof

Property investor
Established
If the rent or recurring costs are wrong, this could look profitable on paper while producing weak cash flow. The Helsinki new-build one-bedroom is priced at €519,800, with projected rent of €3,007 a month, which gives a gross yield of roughly 6.9%.

I have allowed for vacancy, management, routine upkeep and reserves for larger work, but I am not confident the €3,007 rent is sustainable or that my cost list is complete. I still need the full breakdown of building or housing-company charges and what they cover, along with the amounts for insurance, property tax and tenant turnover. Which of those documents or figures would you verify first before deciding whether the net return is adequate?
 
The gross calculation is right: €3,007 × 12 is €36,084, or about 6.9% of the purchase price. I’d focus on the flat’s monthly building or housing-company charges and exactly what they include. Have you also allowed separately for insurance, property tax, leasing costs and gaps between tenants? Those can turn an attractive headline yield into fairly ordinary net cash flow.
 
I wouldn’t choose a target net yield before testing whether €3,007 is genuinely sustainable for this specific 1-bed. A single vacant month removes €3,007 before any turnover or management expense. Run the model at the quoted rent, a lower rent, and one or two vacant months; then repeat it under higher financing costs if borrowing. Ask for the complete recurring-charge breakdown and any expected building expenditure before deciding what return is adequate.
 
Back
Top