How do you evaluate an agent's fee and service scope in Barcelona [student housing]

I am torn between choosing the lower fee and adding missing services separately, or paying more for one agent to remain responsible through closing. The property is student housing in Barcelona with an expected value of about €1,173,000, so a small difference in the fee basis could matter as much as the headline percentage.

I want to compare the proposals by named deliverables rather than presentation. That would include the photography scope, evidence from genuinely relevant completed sales, buyer-screening steps, offer handling, negotiation, support after a transaction falls through and the point at which closing coordination ends. I also need to know who will manage the file in practice and what response commitments actually mean.

What questions expose a meaningful service difference? I would particularly like the payment trigger, exclusions and any conflicts of interest set out clearly before appointing anyone, since those are difficult to correct once the listing is underway.
 
Put every proposal into the same written matrix. Start with how the fee is calculated, when it becomes payable and what happens if a buyer withdraws. Then separate “included” into actual deliverables: number and type of photographs, buyer-qualification steps, who conducts negotiations, who records offers, and where closing coordination ends. For comparable sales, ask specifically how comparable they are to this student-housing property, not merely whether they are in Barcelona.
 
I’d be cautious about giving too much weight to claimed response times or fall-through rates. Both can look impressive without agreed definitions. Does response time mean an acknowledgement or a substantive answer? Does a fall-through count if the buyer withdraws before a formal offer?

The missing fact for me is whether the named senior contact stays involved after listing. Ask who handles viewings, buyer questions and offer updates day to day, and how often you receive a written progress report.
 
That distinction helps. I was treating “closing coordination” and “buyer qualification” as complete services, but neither proposal defines the steps. I’ll ask each agent to complete the same matrix and identify the day-to-day contact rather than relying on the person presenting the proposal. I’ll also request definitions for response time and fall-throughs, plus a sample description of how offers are communicated and compared.
 
Also ask for conflict disclosure before deciding. In particular: could the agent represent or receive a fee from another party connected with the transaction, and how would that be communicated to you?

I wouldn’t automatically reject the cheapest proposal. If the excluded tasks can be covered competently elsewhere, it may still be better value. But price those gaps first and confirm who owns each handoff when a negotiation stalls or a buyer drops out; that is where a low headline fee can become expensive or simply consume your time.
 
Back
Top