How far below asking would you start on this Tokyo coastal home?

sailsAndQuill

Buyer
Established
The 49 days on the market initially made a 5% reduction seem straightforward, but the lack of completed-sale evidence has made me less confident. This Tokyo coastal home is listed at ¥215,700,000 and needs updating, while the nearby properties I can see are only asking-price comparisons.

My proposed opening is ¥204,915,000. I could show that financing is arranged and accommodate the seller's preferred completion timing, but I do not want to justify the price with speculative costs—for example, treating dated finishes as if they all require immediate replacement.

I plan to keep inspection and financing conditions. How should the offer address a low valuation, the deposit consequences and a reasonable response deadline? I would also like to know what else should be settled before submitting it.
 
Five percent is a credible opening position, not an insult, if you present it as a complete package rather than a list of complaints. Point to the uncertain completed-sale evidence, updating required, financing readiness and flexible completion date. Avoid assigning exaggerated costs to every defect.

I would keep inspection and financing conditions. Also make clear what happens to your deposit if either condition cannot be satisfied; the exact wording matters more than calling the offer “clean.”
 
What does “updating” mean here—cosmetic finishes, or possible moisture, corrosion and exterior work? That distinction could change both your price and inspection scope.

I’d also ask the agent what the seller values besides price. A particular completion date may matter more than squeezing out the last few percent. If defects emerge, decide in advance whether you would prefer a repair credit or the right to withdraw rather than reopening every small item.
 
Getting this wrong could mean either losing a home you genuinely want or paying more simply because 49 days looked like negotiating leverage. That listing period is useful context, but it does not show that the seller will accept a discount, especially when the other evidence consists mainly of asking prices.

I would follow the previous suggestion and separate the checks. First seek stronger completed comparables, then ask the agent—without pretending there is urgency—whether price or completion timing matters more to the seller. If the property still looks right, submit the 5%-below offer with a normal, clearly stated response period.

That keeps the proposal credible while leaving the inspection and appraisal-gap questions to be dealt with expressly in the terms.
 
There are really two separate risks: condition and the appraisal gap. Financing proof addresses your ability to borrow, but it does not guarantee the lender will support this particular price.

I’d submit the 5%-below figure with a short, factual explanation, a clear response deadline and flexibility on completion. Keep inspection and financing protections, and have the deposit consequences written unambiguously in the local contract. If the inspection finds material work, request a price adjustment or credit then; don’t build speculative repair costs into a confrontational opening letter.
 
Back
Top