How much cash should I keep after buying a Nairobi new-build?

sanna_titles

Homeowner
KES 3,999,000 sounds like a meaningful reserve, but one expensive handover issue could change that quickly. The purchase under consideration is a 2-bed new-build flat in Nairobi priced around KES 178,700,000.

That cash would need to cover moving, urgent inspection findings, the insurance excess, furniture and ordinary emergencies. I am unsure whether to ring-fence most of it or buy below my limit and keep a larger margin. Before allocating anything, which handover documents or confirmed charges should I obtain, and how would you divide the balance once those figures are known?
 
I would not treat furniture as an equal bucket. First ring-fence household emergency savings, then allow for moving, any costs due around handover, the first mortgage payment, service charges and the insurance excess. Keep another amount untouched for inspection items that genuinely cannot wait. Furnish the non-essential rooms gradually.
 
One important clarification: is the KES 3,999,000 figure calculated after the first mortgage payment and any initial service charge, or only after the transaction costs? Also ask for the expected handover date. A delayed or awkwardly timed handover can create overlapping housing and moving expenses that are easy to miss.
 
I’d also separate defects from upgrades. An inspection might identify something the developer agrees to correct, something you must repair yourself, or simply a finish you dislike. Those should not all come from the same assumed repair budget. Get the inspection findings in writing and compare them carefully with the sale contract and handover terms before allocating cash.
 
I’m less comfortable with assigning percentages before knowing your monthly spending and mortgage amount. KES 3,999,000 may look substantial in isolation, but it is a fairly small cushion beside the purchase price. Work out how many months of essential expenses it covers after ownership costs begin. If unavoidable handover expenses leave too little emergency runway, buying slightly cheaper is the safer decision. Beds, a table and basic appliances can come first; decorative furniture can wait.
 
Months of expenses are useful, but they do not fully cover the lumpy costs around completion. I’d use two layers: an emergency fund that is never part of the moving budget, plus a separate handover pot for moving, urgent inspection findings, service charges, the insurance excess and the first payment. Price those items as far as possible now. Whatever remains is the furniture budget—not the other way around.
 
Back
Top