How much negotiating room does 49 days suggest for a small Paris multifamily?

KaiPike

Homeowner
I have to choose between offering now and waiting for the seller to reduce the price. Small Paris multifamily listings in the €544,600 to €817,000 range appear to average about 49 days on the market, but that figure may combine very different neighbourhoods and building circumstances.

New supply has increased, although little of it fits what I am seeking. Financing constraints may be holding back serious buyers, and some properties have unresolved insurance points. Would 49 days support a modest discount initially, with a lower offer reserved for evidence of poor condition or seller pressure? I am looking for completed sales of the same property type within a tight local boundary, ideally with their original asking histories.
 
Forty-nine days is enough to justify a conversation, but not automatically a deep discount. I’d base the offer on the building’s condition, unresolved insurance issue and seller motivation rather than days alone. A well-priced property can sit because the buyer pool is narrow; an overpriced one can remain listed despite repeated interest.
 
Which neighbourhood, and how close are your comparisons? Crossing even a nearby boundary can change the buyer pool, so a Paris-wide average will not tell you much. Also, are these vacant buildings or occupied units, and what exactly counts as a “clear answer” on insurance? Those details could explain the split you’re seeing.
 
Naomi’s questions matter. I’d also separate properties needing ordinary updating from those with work that makes costs difficult to estimate. For the target building, ask when the seller last rejected an offer, whether a reduction has been discussed and whether there is a deadline behind the sale. Those answers may reveal more than the advertised 49 days.
 
I wouldn’t necessarily wait for a public price cut. If the seller is motivated, a credible offer before the reduction may be more appealing than another stretch on the market. The important part is showing that your financing and timetable are realistic. If the seller is not motivated, waiting probably changes nothing except your risk of losing the property.
 
The request for completed examples is sensible, but public asking histories can be misleading. A withdrawn property may return looking new, and the final terms are not always visible from the listing trail. Compare the same micro-area, building condition, unit mix and occupancy situation. Otherwise a large apparent discount may simply reflect a much weaker asset.
 
More listings do not necessarily mean more usable choices. I’d track new stock, genuine reductions and withdrawals separately for a few weeks. If many buildings disappear without a visible sale, the apparent supply may be stale or merely testing the market. If reductions cluster after a similar period, that gives you a better basis for timing an offer.
 
One more point: record the original asking price and every relisting you notice, not just the current figure. That should make it easier to spot whether 49 days is truly the first marketing period or part of a longer attempt to sell.
 
I’d make a written comparison sheet for the target and three genuinely similar properties: exact area, condition, occupancy, insurance clarity, first-listing date, cuts and current status. Then price the unresolved work or uncertainty rather than applying a generic percentage for 49 days. If the numbers still work, offer now with reasons; if they only work after an assumed future cut, keep watching.
 
Back
Top