How should I frame a 7% below-asking offer on a Rio townhouse?

saveTheInk

First-time buyer
A 7% reduction would mean starting at R$5,208,000 on a Rio townhouse listed for R$5,600,000. It has been advertised for 28 days and needs updating, although the nearby asking prices I have found do not tell me what comparable properties ultimately sold for.

We can provide evidence of financing and accommodate the seller on completion timing. I am considering presenting the price as a single package built around those strengths rather than giving a long criticism of the house.

Would that be a sensible way to test the seller’s motivation? I want inspection and financing conditions to remain in place, and I am also trying to limit the deposit risk if the appraisal is low. Should repair credits wait until there are specific inspection findings?
 
R$5,208,000 is a defensible opening rather than an insult, provided you present it as one complete package: financing proof, flexible completion, limited response period and a straightforward inspection condition. Don’t claim the property is overpriced if completed comparables are weak. Say the figure reflects the updating required and the uncertainty around verified sale prices.
 
What does “needs updating” mean here—cosmetic finishes, or possible roof, electrical, plumbing or structural work? That distinction matters. A seller may dismiss a broad renovation discount but take identified defects seriously. I would also ask whether there have been previous offers and whether the seller values timing or certainty more than the last few percentage points.
 
I think 28 days is too soon to treat market time as negotiating leverage, especially at this price. The seller may still be testing demand. You can offer 7% below, but I wouldn’t expect your clean financing and flexibility alone to make up the full R$392,000 difference.
 
One other thought: avoid combining a discounted offer with a long list of hypothetical repair deductions. Make the initial price reflect the visible condition, then reserve any later request for significant issues actually found during inspection. Otherwise it can look as though you intend to renegotiate twice.
 
I partly disagree with keeping the rationale too general. If the updating is obvious, attach a short, factual list of the main items influencing your number—without assigning inflated costs to each one. That shows the offer was considered rather than arbitrary. Just don’t describe preferences such as dated finishes as defects.
 
The written offer could separate the commercial points clearly: R$5,208,000 price, evidence that financing is in place, your available completion range, a reasonable response deadline, and the conditions that remain. I would retain inspection and financing protection. Any deposit release or forfeiture wording deserves careful local review before signing, because the exposure depends on the actual contract terms.
 
Don’t overlook the appraisal gap. Financing can be solid while the lender’s valuation still comes in below the agreed price. Decide now whether you could cover a gap, would renegotiate, or need a financing condition broad enough to exit. The seller should see proof of readiness, but that is not the same as promising to fund any valuation shortfall.
 
Agreed on the appraisal point. It also argues against waiving financing merely to make the offer look cleaner. The stronger presentation is fewer uncertainties within your control—clear proof, prompt responses and flexible timing—while preserving protection for inspection and lender valuation matters you cannot fully control.
 
I’d submit the 7% opening, but decide your next number before doing so. If the seller counters near asking, completed comparables may not give you enough support to keep increasing. Set a ceiling based on the townhouse’s value to you plus realistic updating costs. If inspection later reveals a substantial issue, seek a price adjustment or repair credit then rather than using minor findings to reopen the whole negotiation.
 
Back
Top