How would you frame a 6% below-asking offer on this Hong Kong villa?

gardensAndCorner

Buyer
Established
The detail making me hesitate is that the villa has been listed for only 14 days. I had initially thought its dated condition made a 6% reduction fairly easy to justify, but the seller may still expect interest near the HK$4,641,000 asking price.

I am considering HK$4.36m for this four-bedroom Hong Kong villa, backed by evidence of financing and a completion date shaped around the seller’s needs. If the condition is merely cosmetic, I can treat that as an opening negotiation; if an inspection suggests larger problems, I would need stronger protection or a different price. How can I keep the offer credible without exposing too much deposit or giving up financing, valuation and inspection conditions?
 
Six percent is not inherently insulting, but 14 days is a fairly short marketing period, so the seller may not feel pressured yet. Keep the rationale brief: uncertain completed-sale evidence, updating costs, strong financing position and flexible completion. A clean written offer is usually more persuasive than a long argument about why the villa is overpriced.
 
The fact that the updating has only been judged by eye changes this for me. Dated finishes might support a lower opening figure, but they do not justify estimating repair costs as though defects have already been found.

Ask what timing would genuinely help the seller, then make any flexibility conditional on a satisfactory inspection and acceptable financing. If the seller has no particular deadline, a convenient completion date is unlikely to compensate for a price they consider too low.
 
At this stage the updating is only what I could observe, so I don’t want to assign a precise repair cost before an inspection. I also don’t know the seller’s motivation or preferred timing yet. Based on the comments, I’m leaning toward presenting HK$4.36m as a straightforward opening rather than trying to justify every dollar.
 
I’d avoid making 6% sound like a formula. Ask the agent for the closest completed transactions they can identify, including the sale dates and meaningful differences in condition, size and location. Asking-price comparisons mostly tell you what other sellers hope to receive, not what buyers have accepted.
 
Do not let “clean financing” get interpreted as no financing protection. You can demonstrate that funds and lending are organised while still making the agreement conditional where appropriate. Also establish in writing what happens to the deposit if financing, valuation or inspection conditions are not satisfied. The exact wording and consequences are jurisdiction-specific, so have the proposed terms checked locally before signing.
 
There is a trade-off, though. An offer 6% low with a long list of broad escape clauses may look weaker than the headline suggests. I’d keep an inspection condition, but make it focused and time-limited rather than using it as an open-ended chance to renegotiate every dated fitting.
 
The missing piece is the seller’s motivation. If they need a particular completion date, your flexibility could bridge some of the price gap. If they are simply testing the market and have only waited 14 days, they may reject HK$4.36m without countering. Ask the agent what matters besides price, without expecting them to disclose anything confidential.
 
Think about the appraisal gap before increasing the offer. If the lender’s valuation comes in below the agreed amount, can you comfortably cover the difference, and would you want to? Decide that limit now. Otherwise a counteroffer can pull you toward a price that works emotionally but not with the financing structure.
 
I would choose between a lower price and repair credits rather than demanding both at the outset. Since the condition is not yet documented, offer based on the villa as currently observed and reserve inspection rights. If the inspection later reveals significant work rather than ordinary updating, then discuss a credit, price change or withdrawal under the agreed terms.
 
One other point: don’t over-explain the seller’s own property to them. Saying it is dated can become personal. “Our offer reflects the available comparable evidence, anticipated updating and our financing parameters” makes the same point without criticising their taste.
 
Give the offer a response deadline, but not one so short that it looks theatrical. It should be long enough for the seller to consider and seek advice, while preventing the offer from remaining open indefinitely. Coordinate the timing with your representative and make clear that any extension must be agreed rather than assumed.
 
Luis’s deadline point matters because 14 days on the market cuts both ways. You want a timely answer, but the seller may reasonably believe another buyer could appear. I would not use urgency as leverage here. Let certainty of financing and completion flexibility carry more weight.
 
Also decide your next number before submitting. If they counter close to asking, will you move by a fixed amount, request completed-sale support, or hold? A 6% opening is sensible only if it begins a negotiation you are prepared to continue—not if you already know you will immediately jump to the list price.
 
Offering HK$4.36m now may feel exposed, while waiting for perfect evidence could mean losing the villa. Neither requires you to compromise the protections that matter.

Set your maximum price and deposit limit first. Then submit the opening figure with financing evidence, a sensible response date, and inspection, valuation and finance conditions. If the seller counters, you can reassess using any completed comparables and their preferred timing. If they simply reject it after 14 days, waiting is reversible; surrendering a safeguard is not.
 
Back
Top