Independent inspection for a new build in Birmingham at £666,900

SashaLee

Homeowner
Our preference is to have the 5-bed detached house independently inspected before completion, but the builder says its required checks make that unnecessary and access may be restricted. The price is £666,900, so relying only on defects being addressed after we move into the Birmingham property feels uncomfortable.

Would a sensible compromise be a detailed inspection as soon as access is permitted, followed by a shorter visit near the end of the defect period? I’m particularly concerned about drainage, insulation and finishing work that may be harder to document later. Separately, we need written confirmation of whether the house is leasehold, the remaining lease term and any charges. We are also allowing for moving costs and checking whether our insurance excess would leave enough cash for early repairs.
 
I would aim for before completion, provided the builder allows access, then consider a shorter follow-up near the end of the defect period. The required checks and your own inspection serve different purposes. Earlier findings also give you a chance to raise visible defects before furniture and boxes make access harder.
 
What stage are you at, and has the builder confirmed in writing when an independent inspector can enter? Also, is the house leasehold? You mention lease length, and that needs separate attention from construction defects, along with any service charges. An inspector cannot resolve the tenure paperwork.
 
One caveat: an inspection is not a guarantee that drainage or insulation problems will be found. Some areas may be concealed or inaccessible by then. Before booking, ask exactly what will be examined, what access is needed and whether the report distinguishes cosmetic snagging from issues requiring further investigation. Otherwise you may pay for a polished list of paint marks while assuming the hidden work is covered.
 
That’s fair, but limited visibility isn’t a reason to skip it. Even a list of finish defects has value if it is recorded before handover. I’d ask the builder for the access date first, then choose an inspector whose proposed scope matches the concerns about drainage and insulation rather than assuming every inspection covers them.
 
Thanks. We haven’t booked anyone yet, and I’m now asking the builder about access before completion. The budget is the awkward part: moving costs, the first mortgage payment and an emergency fund all land together. We can delay most furniture, but I don’t want an inspection to leave us short for immediate repairs. I’m also separating the lease-length question from the snagging discussion.
 
Delaying furniture is probably the least risky compromise. Keep the emergency fund intact, allow for moving costs and the first mortgage payment, then compare the inspection cost with what you can realistically reserve for defects. A new build can still need small purchases immediately, even where the builder accepts responsibility for fixing particular items.
 
Before deciding what is affordable, add any service charges and the home-insurance excess to the first-year list. Neither proves that an inspection is worthwhile, but both reduce the cash available if something goes wrong. Also get the tenure and lease details answered through the purchase process; don’t let reassurance about the building distract from that separate issue.
 
I’d turn this into three decisions: confirm pre-completion access, obtain a clearly defined inspection scope, and keep enough cash aside for moving, the first payment, insurance excess and immediate needs. If access is refused, handover is the next practical point, with another look near the end of the defect period if the budget permits. Keep dated records of findings and the builder’s responses rather than relying on conversations.
 
Back
Top