sasha.gale
First-time buyer
Using most of my available cash could secure the better 1-bed condo; choosing a cheaper place would leave more room for the first year. I’m leaning toward the second approach, but I do not know whether the numbers actually require it.
The Cape Town condo costs about ZAR 10,740,000, and my estimate leaves ZAR 637,000 once the deposit and closing expenses are covered. The inspection is lengthy, though the property seems fundamentally sound and most findings appear to be manageable first-year jobs.
How much of that balance should be protected for mortgage payments, service charges and emergencies before allowing anything for moving, urgent repairs or basic furniture? I am trying to identify the expenses that would genuinely change the affordability decision rather than treating every inspection note as equally serious.
The Cape Town condo costs about ZAR 10,740,000, and my estimate leaves ZAR 637,000 once the deposit and closing expenses are covered. The inspection is lengthy, though the property seems fundamentally sound and most findings appear to be manageable first-year jobs.
How much of that balance should be protected for mortgage payments, service charges and emergencies before allowing anything for moving, urgent repairs or basic furniture? I am trying to identify the expenses that would genuinely change the affordability decision rather than treating every inspection note as equally serious.