Inspection deadline looming on an as-is villa offer

LocalKite

First-time buyer
The seller sees “as-is” as a commitment not to seek concessions, while I understood it to set the price without removing our inspection exit. Both readings seem plausible, but the contract language must decide it.

The inspection has raised a potentially expensive defect that could affect financing. There is also an unresolved energy-label question, and I do not know whether that belongs under inspection, appraisal or the loan condition. Before the response deadline, should we simply request the missing information, reserve our rights, or decide whether to withdraw? I also want to understand the deposit risk if the valuation creates an appraisal gap. Would completed comparables be relevant now, or only if we later propose a credit?
 
I would separate two things: the seller may be entitled to refuse repairs or a credit, while you may still have a right to withdraw under the contingency. Whether that right exists depends on the actual wording and whether you act before the response deadline.

First compare the inspection clause, as-is language and deposit terms side by side. Then ask for any information needed to make the contingency decision rather than framing every question as a renegotiation.
 
I would not assume the contingency solves everything. Does it permit withdrawal for any unsatisfactory inspection, only specified defects, or only defects above some threshold? That distinction could determine the deposit exposure in the local jurisdiction.

Also keep inspection and financing separate. Confirm whether the lender needs proof concerning the energy label, whether an appraisal gap is possible, and whether your financing proof remains valid. Completed comparables may indicate whether a credit is realistic, but seller motivation matters too: an as-is seller can simply decline it. Get the relevant deadlines and wording reviewed locally before sending another request.
 
Back
Top