The general inspection is arranged for an older 250 m² Johannesburg apartment; what remains unclear is whether any sewer section outside the unit would actually be my responsibility. I have seen a ZAR 72,800 estimate for complete replacement, while a separate camera inspection would be much cheaper.
There are established trees by the street, although I have not noticed drainage symptoms. Is that combination enough reason to commission the scope, or should I first establish where the apartment’s pipework ends and the shared system begins? I am weighing the cost of obtaining evidence now against preserving cash for service charges, the insurance excess, moving, the first mortgage payment and urgent repairs. Furniture can wait, but those other items would all draw on the same emergency fund.
There are established trees by the street, although I have not noticed drainage symptoms. Is that combination enough reason to commission the scope, or should I first establish where the apartment’s pipework ends and the shared system begins? I am weighing the cost of obtaining evidence now against preserving cash for service charges, the insurance excess, moving, the first mortgage payment and urgent repairs. Furniture can wait, but those other items would all draw on the same emergency fund.