Johannesburg snapshot — price movement -5.4%

I can treat vacant homes as motivated-sale opportunities, or exclude them because poor condition may be driving buyers away. Neither approach seems reliable without knowing what actually sold.

My Johannesburg sample covers detached homes marketed from ZAR 8,008,000 to ZAR 12,010,000. It shows movement of -5.4% and a median of roughly 116 days, but the properties vary enough in condition to weaken the comparison. Should I match vacant and occupied homes against recent completed sales and first price-cut dates, or is buyer financing likely to matter more than occupancy when testing negotiating leverage?
 
Vacancy by itself may not be the deciding factor. Buyers are more likely to react to what it suggests: deferred maintenance, urgency, or a seller carrying an unused property. Do you have recent completed sales, rather than asking prices, and are all the homes within genuinely comparable neighbourhood boundaries?
 
Also, does the 116-day figure include homes that were withdrawn and later listed again? If not, the apparent marketing time could understate how long some stock has really been available. I would separate occupied, vacant and withdrawn/relisted properties before drawing a conclusion.
 
I would not dismiss vacancy as leverage. An empty home can invite a lower opening offer because buyers may infer motivation, even when that inference is wrong. The complication is financing: a buyer with a strong offer but a longer funding process may still be less attractive than a cleaner offer near the same price. Seller motivation matters more than the empty rooms themselves.
 
By the first price cut, the useful comparison already needs to be in place; otherwise vacancy can look like the cause when it is only a visible symptom. I would record condition, withdrawal or relisting history, completed-sale evidence and any known timing pressure for each property.

I am also not convinced that an empty home automatically strengthens the buyer. For example, a seller may prefer a slightly lower offer with dependable financing over a higher bid that has a long or uncertain funding process. Vacancy deserves weight only when it appears alongside a price reduction or other evidence of urgency. If comparable detached stock is plentiful, buyers can simply choose another home instead.
 
Back
Top