Launch high or closer to the likely sale price for a Nairobi detached home?

mapsAndRoom

First-time buyer
I have two quite different agent valuations for a detached home near Nairobi. The higher proposal is obviously tempting, but comparable listings that launched ambitiously seem to have sat for roughly 28 days before reducing.

I am deciding whether to test the higher figure or start closer to the price buyers are likely to accept. Did launching high protect anyone’s eventual result, or just waste the strongest first-week interest? I want the agents to support their case with recent completed sales, not promises made during a pitch.
 
I would lean toward the evidence-backed price, because fresh listings attract buyers who may not return after a reduction. How large is the gap between the two valuations, and are both agents using completed sales from the same neighbourhood boundaries? A detached home in better condition a short distance away may not be a fair comparison.
 
One more thing: ask them to include withdrawn listings as well as successful ones. Otherwise the higher valuation can look plausible because you only see properties still advertised at optimistic figures. Listing histories should also show whether those apparent comparables achieved a sale, reduced, or simply disappeared.
 
I would not treat the roughly 28-day cuts as proof that every ambitious launch fails. Some sellers may have planned to test the market, while buyer financing or property condition could explain the delay. If you have no pressing deadline, a higher opening price can be defensible—but only with a pre-agreed date for reassessing it. Drifting through several small reductions is the weaker strategy.
 
Current competition matters as much as old comparables. If several similar detached homes are coming on now, buyers can ignore the expensive one. If new-listing volume is thin and yours is in noticeably better condition, the higher figure has more support. Ask each agent which active homes your likely buyer will view instead of yours.
 
Give both agents the same exercise: identify the most relevant completed sales, explain adjustments for condition and exact location, then show what happened to overpriced or withdrawn stock. Also ask each one to propose a launch price, a specific point for reconsidering it, and what buyer feedback would justify a cut. Their reasoning will be more revealing than the headline valuation.
 
Seller motivation changes the answer. If you need a completed sale within a firm timeline, protecting early interest probably matters more than testing the ceiling. If you can tolerate no sale, you have room to experiment. I would also separate viewing activity from credible offers, particularly where buyers depend on financing; plenty of enquiries do not necessarily validate the price.
 
I agree with gsilva that 28 days alone is not decisive, but there is a practical trap: after four weeks, a reduction may make buyers wonder what is wrong rather than see a bargain. Before choosing, ask both agents what likely completed-sale range they expect under each launch strategy—not just the asking price. If the higher launch does not improve their expected outcome, you are mainly accepting extra time and uncertainty.
 
Back
Top