Lima country home: minimum cash return before counting on appreciation?

isa.cole

Real estate agent
I’m comparing a country home in Lima with cheaper, higher-yield alternatives. The Lima property has only a modest current yield, but employment and transport fundamentals look stronger; the cheaper markets produce more cash now but seem less liquid.

I’m considering requiring a minimum cash return before assigning any value to appreciation. I’d calculate it after vacancy, management, maintenance reserves, insurance and property tax, then stress financing and tenant turnover. Is that the right way to stop an appreciation thesis becoming an excuse for weak numbers? I’m mainly trying to understand the downside, including what days-on-market might reveal.
 
Yes, but define the minimum from the stressed case, not the advertised rent. If one ordinary vacancy or repair period turns the return negative, appreciation is carrying the deal whether you admit it or not.

I’d give future growth zero value in the base case. Treat the stronger employment and transport story as downside protection or optional upside, then compare the properties on net cash flow and the cash you could recover on resale.
 
What are the financing assumptions, and are the days-on-market figures for comparable country homes or for Lima property generally? Those two details could reverse the conclusion. A seemingly liquid market may not be liquid for this property type, while interest-rate or loan-term sensitivity can erase a modest yield before vacancy does.
 
I’d push back slightly on setting one universal cash-return floor. A less liquid, higher-yield property may need a higher hurdle precisely because selling and tenant turnover could be harder. The Lima home can justify a lower hurdle, but not a negative stressed return.

Run three cases using the same cost categories: expected occupancy, a longer vacancy with turnover costs, and financing under less favorable terms. Then compare likely selling time only with genuinely similar homes. If Lima survives those cases while the cheaper option depends on uninterrupted rent, the lower headline yield may be the more defensible number—not proof of appreciation.
 
Back
Top