I’m comparing a country home in Lima with cheaper, higher-yield alternatives. The Lima property has only a modest current yield, but employment and transport fundamentals look stronger; the cheaper markets produce more cash now but seem less liquid.
I’m considering requiring a minimum cash return before assigning any value to appreciation. I’d calculate it after vacancy, management, maintenance reserves, insurance and property tax, then stress financing and tenant turnover. Is that the right way to stop an appreciation thesis becoming an excuse for weak numbers? I’m mainly trying to understand the downside, including what days-on-market might reveal.
I’m considering requiring a minimum cash return before assigning any value to appreciation. I’d calculate it after vacancy, management, maintenance reserves, insurance and property tax, then stress financing and tenant turnover. Is that the right way to stop an appreciation thesis becoming an excuse for weak numbers? I’m mainly trying to understand the downside, including what days-on-market might reveal.