porch.sharp
Real estate agent
The figure that changed my view was the gross yield: a $745,000 purchase with rent of $3,255 a month produces $39,060 a year, or only about 5.2% before costs. I initially thought the apparent condition of this 5-bed Los Angeles coastal home would leave a reasonable margin, but that margin now looks thin.
I have allowed for management, routine repairs, vacancy and one substantial maintenance event. Transaction costs are separate. The model is still highly sensitive to financing terms, and I may be relying too much on generic estimates for insurance and property tax.
I also need to verify whether $3,255 is supported by an existing lease or is simply projected rent, and what the tenant would pay beyond rent. Which property-specific figures would you obtain before spending more time on this deal? Rather than a universal target, I would be interested in the minimum stressed return or cash flow that would make the risk acceptable to you.
I have allowed for management, routine repairs, vacancy and one substantial maintenance event. Transaction costs are separate. The model is still highly sensitive to financing terms, and I may be relying too much on generic estimates for insurance and property tax.
I also need to verify whether $3,255 is supported by an existing lease or is simply projected rent, and what the tenant would pay beyond rent. Which property-specific figures would you obtain before spending more time on this deal? Rather than a universal target, I would be interested in the minimum stressed return or cash flow that would make the risk acceptable to you.