Los Angeles 5-bed at $745,000 renting for $3,255/month — does it work?

porch.sharp

Real estate agent
The figure that changed my view was the gross yield: a $745,000 purchase with rent of $3,255 a month produces $39,060 a year, or only about 5.2% before costs. I initially thought the apparent condition of this 5-bed Los Angeles coastal home would leave a reasonable margin, but that margin now looks thin.

I have allowed for management, routine repairs, vacancy and one substantial maintenance event. Transaction costs are separate. The model is still highly sensitive to financing terms, and I may be relying too much on generic estimates for insurance and property tax.

I also need to verify whether $3,255 is supported by an existing lease or is simply projected rent, and what the tenant would pay beyond rent. Which property-specific figures would you obtain before spending more time on this deal? Rather than a universal target, I would be interested in the minimum stressed return or cash flow that would make the risk acceptable to you.
 
At a 5.2% gross yield, there is not much room for surprises. I would focus first on obtaining a property-specific insurance quote and a realistic post-purchase property-tax estimate rather than using the seller’s current figures. Either could move the result materially. I would not choose a universal net-yield target here; I’d want the property to remain cash-flow positive after a vacancy and repair stress test.
 
Is the $3,255 an existing lease, an agent’s estimate, or an asking rent? For a 5-bed coastal home, that distinction matters more than fine-tuning the maintenance percentage. Also clarify who pays utilities and landscaping, and whether the tenant profile implies frequent turnover. One extra turnover can mean vacancy plus cleaning, repairs and leasing costs at the same time.
 
I partly disagree about transaction fees being the main issue. They matter to total return and the cash you need upfront, but they do not reduce the recurring net yield in the same way as tax, insurance, management and repairs. Model acquisition costs separately.

Financing may be the deal-breaker. Run the numbers at your actual loan terms, then again with lower rent, longer vacancy and a major repair. A property can show an acceptable unlevered yield while producing weak or negative cash flow after debt service.
 
Before deciding, build two simple columns: verified costs and assumptions. Get the insurance quote, post-purchase tax estimate, management proposal and inspection findings into the verified column. Then stress $3,255 rent, vacancy, turnover and the repair reserve. If the deal only works when every assumption is favorable, the 5.2% gross yield is too thin regardless of the headline price.
 
Back
Top