Lyon small multifamily: bid now or wait after a 0.4% move?

jules_property

Property investor
I’m tracking small multifamily properties in Lyon priced from €559,400 to €839,000. The snapshot shows a +0.4% movement and roughly 17 days on market, but negotiated discounts seem to change sharply with condition.

I’m deciding whether to bid on a suitable building now or wait for softer pricing. My working theory is that buyer financing costs explain more of the spread than headline demand, though seasonality may be distorting things. Agents are giving me conflicting answers.

Does that fit what others are seeing in France? If commenting on local activity, please specify the neighbourhood boundaries and property type.
 
Financing is a plausible factor, but the 17-day figure needs unpacking. Is that time until an accepted offer, withdrawal, or the listing disappearing? Those produce very different conclusions. Condition and financing also overlap: a buyer who must fund substantial works may have less room to increase the purchase offer.
 
I’d also want to know what counts as “small multifamily” in your search. Are these entirely residential buildings, mixed-use properties, or houses divided into units? Vacant and occupied buildings should not be grouped casually either. Also, what period and price measure does the +0.4% refer to?
 
One trap is measuring only listings that remain visible. If overpriced buildings are withdrawn after a few weeks, the apparent 17-day market can look healthier than the full stock actually is. Record first-listing date, each price cut, withdrawal, relisting and accepted-offer date where available.
 
I’m not convinced financing is necessarily the main explanation. Seller motivation could create the same pattern: a dated property from a realistic seller may negotiate quickly, while a renovated one with an ambitious asking price may sit or vanish without a sale. Recent completed sales would carry more weight than asking-price movements, especially across such a wide €559,400–€839,000 range.
 
Agreed on completed sales, although they may describe decisions made earlier rather than today’s financing environment. I’d build separate groups by narrow area, vacancy status and condition, then compare asking price, first reduction date, final known outcome and days to offer. Otherwise the condition discount may really be a location or occupancy difference.
 
Seasonality may be changing the mix of listings rather than moving demand uniformly. A month with more renovated or better-located buildings can produce a positive headline movement even if comparable buildings are flat. New-listing volume and withdrawn stock would help test that.
 
For condition, avoid a single “needs work” category. A tired interior is different from issues affecting several units or shared parts of the building. Even without assigning exact renovation costs, noting the scope of work will make negotiated discounts more comparable. I’d also separate immediately usable units from those that cannot be treated the same way by a buyer.
 
Neighbourhood boundaries matter more than a broad Lyon label here. Use the exact same search boundary each week; otherwise a few listings just inside or outside the area can shift both the median price and days-on-market. With a specialised property type and limited sample, +0.4% could simply reflect which buildings appeared.
 
I wouldn’t decide “buy now or wait” from the 0.4% figure alone. For any actual candidate, compare it with the closest completed sales you can obtain, estimate the condition gap, and note how long it took before the first price cut. Then make an offer that still works under your likely financing terms. If the seller rejects it, that gives more useful information than the citywide headline.
 
Back
Top