Lyon small multifamily: interpreting 8.5% movement and 70 days on market

otis.elm

Buyer
Established
I am torn between treating financing costs as the main constraint and treating ambitious seller pricing as the better explanation. The Lyon small multifamily properties I am comparing are offered from €625,600 to €938,400, with a reported 8.5% movement and about 70 days on market.

Condition appears to affect negotiations substantially, but I first need to establish what the 8.5% actually measures. If it concerns completed prices, I would compare sales within a tightly defined neighbourhood and separate vacant buildings from tenanted ones. If it is based on asking prices, I would instead follow reductions, withdrawals and new-listing volume before drawing conclusions about demand. For anyone seeing a similar pattern, which Lyon area and building type are you using, and is your evidence from sales or listings?
 
Financing is a plausible explanation, but 70 days alone cannot separate weak demand from ambitious initial pricing. For small apartment buildings around Guillotière, I would compare completed sales with the original asking price, not the latest reduced price. Also separate vacant buildings from tenanted ones; they may attract buyers with very different financing and renovation plans.
 
What exactly does the 8.5% describe: asking-price movement, completed-sale movement, or the difference between asking and negotiated prices? I’d also check whether withdrawn and relisted properties restart the 70-day clock. That could make the market look quicker than it is. My comparison would be small multifamily buildings around Croix-Rousse, with the boundary kept tight.
 
I’m not convinced financing is the main driver. In Monplaisir, an older small multifamily needing substantial work should be treated as a different product from a maintained, income-producing building. Condition changes the likely renovation budget, timing and uncertainty. Financing then magnifies that difference, but it may not create it.
 
Oscar’s distinction suggests a useful test: divide the Lyon listings into ready-to-hold, light refurbishment and major works. Within each group, record the first asking price, cuts, days advertised and final outcome where available. If discounts still widen similarly across all three groups, the financing explanation becomes stronger. If not, condition is doing more of the work.
 
Price-cut timing matters too. A building reduced after two weeks is not equivalent to one sitting for 70 days before the seller moves. For small multifamily stock in Lyon’s 7th arrondissement, I’d track days to first cut and the size of each later cut. That gives a better indication of seller motivation than total days online.
 
Be careful with neighbourhood labels. “Croix-Rousse” or “Guillotière” can cover streets with quite different building stock and buyer appeal. Comparing two properties under the same broad label may create an apparent condition discount that partly reflects micro-location. Map the buildings rather than relying only on the listing’s neighbourhood name.
 
That also complicates my question about the 8.5%. If it comes from an area-wide series, it may not say much about this narrow €625,600–€938,400 segment. I’d want the count of new listings and withdrawals alongside completed outcomes. Falling visible stock could mean sales, withdrawals, or sellers returning later at another price.
 
Seller motivation may explain some of the abrupt discounts. Two otherwise similar small apartment buildings can behave differently if one seller has a firm deadline and the other is willing to wait. We cannot observe motivation directly, but repeated cuts, a quick first reduction and withdrawal after no sale are useful clues. I wouldn’t attribute every larger discount to financing.
 
The price range is broad enough that building composition could distort the comparison. Record unit count, occupied versus vacant units, commercial space if any, apparent condition and expected works. A €938,400 building is not automatically the same market as one at €625,600 merely because both are called small multifamily. Compare like with like before interpreting the 70-day figure.
 
Agreed. I’d build one row per property with: exact area, property mix, occupancy, condition band, first and latest asking prices, date of first cut, total advertised days, withdrawal or sale, and any completed-sale figure available. Then compare financing-sensitive properties with cleaner ones. That should show whether financing, condition or seller behaviour best explains the spread.
 
One final caution: don’t give the 8.5% a direction or meaning until its definition is confirmed. The practical next step is to create separate cohorts by neighbourhood and condition, then add new-listing volume, cuts and withdrawals over the same period. If the 70-day average survives those controls, it becomes useful; until then it is only a broad market signal.
 
Back
Top