Madrid 1-bed duplex at €1,155,000 and €4,510/month — does it stack up?

sharp_journal

Real estate agent
Established
Verified Pro
A 4.7% gross yield leaves little room for a missed expense, and property tax is my main concern. The property is a 1-bed duplex in Madrid at €1,155,000, with projected rent of €4,510 per month.

I have allowed separately for empty periods, management, day-to-day repairs and a larger maintenance event. I still need to pin down property tax, community charges, insurance and any likely building contributions. The rent also needs checking against achieved rents rather than current advertisements.

For comparing this with other investments, would you calculate net yield before financing on the full acquisition cost? What range of overlooked ownership costs would make you stop pursuing it?
 
The gross calculation works, but there is not much room for surprises. I would itemise community charges, property tax and insurance rather than burying them in a general allowance. Building-level works or special contributions can also overwhelm a normal maintenance reserve.

Before setting a target net yield, clarify whether you mean before financing and whether the denominator is €1,155,000 or your full acquisition cost.
 
How was the €4,510 established: an existing lease, achieved comparable rents, or current asking prices? Also, is the plan a conventional long-term tenancy or something furnished with more turnover?

That missing fact matters more than fine-tuning insurance. One empty month cuts annual rent from €54,120 to €49,610 before any turnover costs.
 
I partly disagree that the overlooked local bill is the central issue. At this price, the durability of the rent is the deal. A modest rent reduction plus vacancy could do more damage than several smaller ownership costs combined.

I would want the net yield before financing to remain acceptable under a lower-rent scenario. If debt is involved, run the same case at a higher financing cost as well; otherwise leverage may turn a merely thin return into negative cash flow.
 
I’d build three cases rather than choose one yield in isolation. Start with €4,510 and normal occupancy, then test lower rent with one vacant month, and finally add higher management and a larger building expense. Include community charges, property tax, insurance, maintenance and tenant-turnover costs separately so nothing disappears inside a broad reserve.

Calculate each net yield against the full cash required to acquire the duplex, then add financing as a separate layer. Personally, I would want roughly 3.5%–4% net before financing here, with the downside case still producing positive cash flow. That is a preference, not a Madrid market rule.
 
Back
Top