Miami flat at $385,000 after 104 days: how should I frame a 4% discount?

GoodSignal

First-time buyer
Established
Founding Member
I can cope with losing the deal, but not with taking on an obligation whose cost I cannot establish. The property is a Miami new-build flat advertised at $385,000 after 104 days, although some parts apparently still require updating. Similar nearby listings provide context, but the completed-sale evidence I have found is too limited to support a confident value.

I am considering $369,600 as an opening offer, which is 4% under the asking price. I could provide clear financing evidence and accommodate the seller’s preferred completion timing, while keeping the explanation focused on marketing time, uncertain sale evidence and the cost of the work.

What should I verify before sending it? The scope of the updates, meaning of the reference to lease length, inspection findings and financing documents all seem capable of changing the price. I would also want protection around appraisal, financing and inspection, clarity on deposit exposure, and a defined response period. If repairs are confirmed, would a credit be cleaner than trying to estimate them through the initial discount?
 
Four per cent below after 104 days does not sound inherently aggressive. Keep the rationale short: time on market, limited evidence from completed sales, and the cost of the required updates. Proof of financing and a flexible completion date make the offer stronger without pretending your price is definitive.

I would not waive inspection, financing or appraisal protection merely to soften the discount. Give the seller a clear but reasonable response deadline rather than leaving the offer open indefinitely.
 
What does “needs some updating” cover? Cosmetic finishes support one kind of offer; uncertain plumbing, electrical work or building-related issues create a different risk. Also, by “lease length,” do you mean the term of a leasehold interest, or restrictions on renting out the flat? That needs resolving before you decide what the property is worth to you.
 
I’d also avoid trying to justify the offer from nearby listings alone. Those tell you what sellers hope to receive, not what buyers have accepted. If completed comparables remain thin, the appraisal becomes more important.

One possible structure is $369,600 subject to inspection, financing and an acceptable appraisal, with proof of funds or financing included. If the seller counters near asking, decide in advance whether you would cover any appraisal gap and cap that amount explicitly. Otherwise your apparently firm price can turn into an open-ended cash commitment.
 
I disagree slightly on leading with the updating costs. A seller may hear that as an invitation to argue over every finish. Submit a clean number first and ask why it has sat for 104 days. Seller motivation may matter more than your explanation.

If inspection later identifies specific defects, request a repair credit then rather than double-counting vague updates in both the opening discount and a later claim.
 
Before signing, map the deposit exposure against each contingency and its deadline: when it becomes payable, when inspection objections must be raised, and what happens if financing or appraisal fails. Those details depend on the actual contract and local handling, so they deserve careful review.

I would also clarify the ownership/lease point and any rental limitation in writing. A 4% negotiation win is not meaningful if an unresolved restriction or an appraisal shortfall costs more later.
 
Back
Top