Milan 2-bed duplex at €266,800 and €981/month: does 4.4% gross work?

dara.lark

Landlord
The margin looks thin once the less predictable costs are included. The property is a Milan 2-bed duplex priced at €266,800, with projected rent of €981 a month. It has been listed for 32 days, and the basic calculation gives a 4.4% gross yield.

I have allowed for empty periods, agent fees, routine upkeep and a major repair, but I still lack a firm insurance figure. Tenant changes could also mean extra cleaning, furnishing and reletting costs. Before proceeding, I plan to request the condominium accounts, insurance responsibilities and evidence that €981 is achievable. Is there another recurring cost that should have its own line rather than sit inside a general allowance?
 
The arithmetic works: €981 × 12 is €11,772, or about 4.4% before any costs. That is not much room for surprises. I’d focus first on annual condominium charges, property tax, rental-income tax and whether €981 is genuinely achievable rather than an optimistic asking rent. Insurance matters, but several smaller deductions may do more damage together.
 
Does the €981 exclude condominium charges and utilities, and is the duplex furnished? Those details affect both the owner’s costs and tenant turnover. I would also separate recurring net yield from purchase costs. A deal can produce acceptable annual cash flow but still take a long time to recover the initial transaction expenses.
 
Cash purchase or financing? At 4.4% gross, even modest borrowing costs could make the monthly cash flow uncomfortable. I’d run three cases: expected rent, one vacant month, and lower rent plus an unplanned repair. If the financed version only works in the first case, the asking price is doing you no favours.
 
I’m not convinced insurance is the main threat unless there is something unusual about the building or duplex layout. Turnover may be the bigger leak: vacancy, cleaning, repairs between tenants and another management or letting charge. A 2-bed can have steady demand, but the model should not assume every departing tenant is replaced immediately at €981.
 
Also, 32 days by itself tells you very little. It might indicate weak demand, but it could just reflect price, presentation or a seller willing to wait. I would not use the listing age to justify the investment. Use it to justify asking harder questions and testing whether the price is negotiable.
 
I agree with the stress testing, though financing is not automatically fatal. The important comparison is the net return on Adrian’s actual cash invested, including all purchase expenses and a cash reserve. Adrian, have you modelled interest-rate sensitivity separately from building costs? Combining them can hide whether the property itself is weak or merely unsuitable for a particular loan.
 
A simple sensitivity table would help. Put rent across the top and annual non-financing costs down the side, then add separate rows for vacancy and major repairs. Do not smooth a large repair over decades if one early bill would leave you short of cash. For me, a net yield below 3% here would be difficult to justify without a strong non-income reason for owning it.
 
Because it is a duplex, clarify what is actually private and what falls under the condominium. Stairs, roof areas, heating equipment or other shared elements can create ambiguity about who pays, depending on the building arrangements. I would want the recent condominium expense history and any planned works before assigning a number to maintenance.
 
Property tax deserves its own line rather than being buried under miscellaneous costs. The exact treatment depends on the property and the owner’s circumstances, so use the unit’s actual information and have the calculation confirmed locally. Do the same for rental-income tax. Yield quoted before tax is useful for comparing listings, but it is not spendable cash flow.
 
The regular expenses can be estimated; the acceptable return is the part that remains personal. A buyer paying cash and holding for years might tolerate a lower net yield than someone with debt and limited reserves.

That is why one universal minimum can mislead. A modest average return may look reasonable until one vacancy, tenant change and repair arrive in the same year. I would run that combined downside case, compare the remaining return with other uses of the money, and decide from there.
 
Practical next step: request a breakdown of condominium charges, any approved or discussed building works, insurance responsibilities, current occupancy status and evidence supporting the €981 rent assumption. Then ask a local accountant or adviser to calculate taxes from your circumstances. Until those items are filled in, the 4.4% is more of a screening number than an investment return.
 
This is helpful. I had grouped too many items under one conservative expense allowance. I’ll separate condominium charges, property tax, rental tax, insurance, turnover and financing, then run the lower-rent and early-repair cases. I’ll also ask what supports the €981 figure and whether any building works are being considered. If the downside case falls below 3% net or turns cash flow negative, I won’t rely on the headline yield.
 
That approach should expose the real decision. I would avoid setting the final threshold until you know whether €981 is rent alone and have the building-cost information. If the expected case is merely acceptable but the downside case consumes your reserve, negotiate from that risk or walk away. At €266,800, there is too little gross income to treat unknown costs as minor details.
 
Back
Top