Milan mortgage: how should I compare a 6.37% five-year fixed quote?

travelsAndGrove

Property investor
Established
The monthly payment must remain manageable even if refinancing after five years is expensive. Against that constraint, I am comparing mortgages for a Milan purchase of about €529,000, including one offer fixed at 6.37% for five years. Its fees and LTV band make it less attractive than the headline pricing first suggested.

For a likely five-year switch or sale, should I compare all payments and fees over that period alongside the remaining balance? If I might retain the loan longer, APR and the post-fix rate seem more relevant. I also need to check whether the mortgage can move with me, what early repayment would cost and how the payment changes when the fixed period ends.
 
For this decision I’d calculate the total cash outlay through the end of year five: payments, upfront fees and any fees added to the loan, then show the remaining balance. APR is useful, but it can reflect a longer comparison period than the fixed term you actually care about. What loan amount, overall term and LTV tier are behind the 6.37% quote? Without those, the advertised-rate comparison is incomplete.
 
I wouldn’t dismiss APR, because a five-year cash-cost calculation can make a low-fee offer look attractive while hiding what happens afterward. The two views answer different questions: five-year cost tests your likely holding or refinancing period; APR helps expose the cost of keeping the mortgage longer.

The bigger concern may be the refinance assumption. Compare the payment at 6.37% with the possible payment after the reset, not just with today’s advertised alternatives.
 
Gabriel’s request for the loan amount and term is the next step. Put each offer into one table with monthly payment, cash fees, five-year interest, balance after five years, LTV tier, reset terms, early-repayment conditions and whether portability is actually available for your circumstances. Then run one version where you refinance after five years and another where you cannot. That should reveal whether the quote is merely expensive or also creates an affordability problem later.
 
Back
Top