Mortgage quote in Japan: 6.39% fixed for 15 years (need advice)

EarlyGlass

Buyer
Established
Choosing this loan on the headline rate could be expensive if we move or refinance early. The Tokyo purchase is about ¥143,800,000, and the quote is 6.39% fixed for 15 years, but fees and the applicable loan-to-value band materially increase what we would pay.

I am thinking of comparing each lender at several possible exit dates. If we are likely to leave during the fixed period, I would include payments made, upfront or financed fees, the remaining balance and any early-repayment cost. If we expect to stay for all 15 years, the full-period cost becomes more useful. Is that a better decision rule than relying on APR, and what assumptions should I request about portability or refinancing?
 
Given the possible move, I would compare total cash paid up to several plausible exit dates rather than rely on APR alone. Run the monthly payments, upfront fees, and any repayment charge at perhaps an early, middle, and full-term exit. APR is useful for an initial comparison, but it may not reflect your likely holding period or the cost of ending the loan early.
 
What is missing is the lender’s full repayment illustration and the exact fee structure. Are the arrangement fees paid upfront or added to the balance? If financed, they also attract interest. I would also ask how much a lower loan-to-value tier would require from you, then compare that extra deposit against the resulting payment reduction rather than looking only at the headline rate.
 
I would not make portability a major part of the calculation until the lender explains its conditions in writing. “Portable” may not mean an automatic transfer to any future property; a later move could still depend on approval and the new purchase. Treat portability as a possible benefit, not as the assumption that makes this quote affordable.
 
That is helpful. We do not have a firm moving date, which is why the 15-year total was giving a false sense of precision. I’ll ask for an itemised illustration showing whether fees are financed, the balance at different dates, early-repayment costs, and the conditions attached to portability. I’ll also compare the monthly payment against our budget without assuming a refinance or move rescues the numbers later.
 
One caveat: do not focus so much on exit scenarios that you underweight the payment you must carry now. Stress the monthly affordability separately, then model the move. Also ask what happens after the fixed period if you still own the property; any refinance assumption depends on future approval and rates, while the reset terms in this mortgage are contractual. For a quote this large, small differences in fees and timing can materially change which option is cheaper.
 
Back
Top