Choosing this loan on the headline rate could be expensive if we move or refinance early. The Tokyo purchase is about ¥143,800,000, and the quote is 6.39% fixed for 15 years, but fees and the applicable loan-to-value band materially increase what we would pay.
I am thinking of comparing each lender at several possible exit dates. If we are likely to leave during the fixed period, I would include payments made, upfront or financed fees, the remaining balance and any early-repayment cost. If we expect to stay for all 15 years, the full-period cost becomes more useful. Is that a better decision rule than relying on APR, and what assumptions should I request about portability or refinancing?
I am thinking of comparing each lender at several possible exit dates. If we are likely to leave during the fixed period, I would include payments made, upfront or financed fees, the remaining balance and any early-repayment cost. If we expect to stay for all 15 years, the full-period cost becomes more useful. Is that a better decision rule than relying on APR, and what assumptions should I request about portability or refinancing?