Mortgage quote in Singapore: 7.14% fixed for 5 years — thoughts?

simple_river

Buyer
Established
Getting this wrong could leave me paying heavily either now in charges or later when the rate resets. The quote is 7.14% fixed for five years on a Singapore purchase of about S$629,800, and the lender’s fees and lending tier make the headline number less helpful than I expected.

Should I compare offers by cash paid over those five years and the balance remaining at the end, rather than relying mainly on APR? I may also move or refinance, so I’m checking early-exit costs and whether portability is genuinely available for a future property. How would you test those terms and the payment risk after year five?
 
I’d compare total cash cost over the five years, since that matches the period you know you’ll be fixed. Include interest, arrangement fees and any costs triggered by the loan-to-value tier, then compare the remaining balance at year five as well. Ask each lender for the same loan amount and repayment schedule; otherwise even the APR comparison can be misleading. How much are you borrowing rather than paying upfront?
 
Five-year cost is useful, but it assumes you keep the mortgage for all five years. If you might sell, repay early or refinance, the exit terms could outweigh a modest rate difference. I’d run at least three timelines—early exit, full fixed period, and several years after the reset—and stress-test the monthly payment after year five. Portability only helps if its conditions fit the next property and loan-to-value, so get those terms stated clearly rather than treating it as guaranteed flexibility.
 
Back
Top