Mortgage quote in Spain: 7.70% fixed for 30 years - am I overthinking this?

AriRiver

Property investor
Founding Member
I need to decide shortly whether to keep negotiating this Madrid mortgage or start again with other lenders. The property price is €501,400, and the offer in front of me is 7.70% fixed for 30 years. It initially looked reasonable, but the rate actually available at my LTV and the added fees make it much less attractive than the advertisement suggested.

How would you compare it fairly with alternatives: model the cost over my likely ownership period, use APR as the first filter, or focus on the lender’s full payment schedule? I also need to establish what happens if I repay early, move the loan to another property or lose the fixed terms during that process. I’m planning to request a written cost breakdown using the exact loan amount and LTV before deciding.
 
One clarification: €501,400 is the purchase price, not necessarily the amount anyone should assume is being borrowed. The applicable LTV tier matters here. I’m trying to decide whether the quote deserves further negotiation or whether the gap between the advertised offer and the actual cost is enough reason to walk away.
 
The monthly payment is the first thing I would check. What remains unclear is how long you are likely to retain this particular loan.

If moving or refinancing within ten years is plausible, the projected cost across all 30 years will not tell you much. Compare the lenders over that shorter period, including fees and any repayment charge, then run a separate scenario in which you keep the mortgage to term. APR can help narrow the field, but only after confirming that every illustration uses the same principal, LTV and assumptions. Portability would alter the result only if the written conditions make it genuinely usable for your likely move.
 
What are the quoted loan principal and arrangement fee, and how long do you expect to own the property? Without those, the 7.70% figure is hard to assess properly. I’d also ask each lender for the cost at exactly the same LTV, rather than comparing one lender’s advertised tier with another lender’s actual offer.
 
Even before refining the spreadsheet, I would challenge a 7.70% fixed quote and obtain alternatives based on the same borrowing amount and LTV. The difference between the advertised rate and the real offer needs a clear explanation. A low headline is not much help if fees or eligibility tiers erase the advantage.
 
I partly disagree that total 30-year cash cost should drive the decision. It assumes you keep this exact loan for three decades, which may be no more realistic than assuming an easy refinance. I’d model at least three exit dates—perhaps five, ten and thirty years—and include fees plus any early-repayment cost that actually applies to each quote. Portability should be treated separately because its value depends on whether you move and still qualify at that time.
 
The non-negotiable test is monthly affordability at the contracted payment. Don’t make the purchase work only by assuming rates will fall and refinancing will be available. With a full-term fixed rate there is no scheduled reset on this mortgage, but replacing it later introduces a new rate and approval risk.
 
Then compare the break-even point for the extra fees. If one offer costs more upfront but has a lower rate, calculate how many months it takes for the payment savings to recover that difference. If the likely ownership or refinance period is shorter, the cheaper headline rate may never actually become cheaper.
 
Aaliyah’s point about getting alternatives is sensible, but I wouldn’t reject this quote solely because 7.70% feels high. First make the lenders quote the same principal, LTV and 30-year term, then list upfront fees, monthly payments, balances at your likely exit dates, and early-repayment terms. Ask separately whether portability is guaranteed or conditional. That should show whether negotiation can fix the quote or whether another offer is genuinely cheaper.
 
Back
Top