Mortgage quote in Sweden: 3.30% fixed for 3 years — thoughts?

gia.dawn

First-time buyer
Established
My main constraint is that I may sell or refinance before a fixed term ends, so the cheapest three-year illustration may not be the cheapest route for me.

The quote is 3.30% fixed for three years on a Stockholm purchase of roughly SEK 13,050,000. Once the lender applied its fee structure and loan-to-value band, the headline comparison stopped being very useful.

I can see the appeal of ranking offers by total cost over three years, but I think the exit terms may deserve equal weight. If I am likely to keep the loan throughout, I would compare interest and every fee on identical repayment assumptions. If an earlier move is realistic, I would instead give more weight to early-repayment charges, portability conditions and the cost of refinancing. Is there a better way to combine those two cases without relying on APR alone?
 
For this decision I’d compare total cost over exactly three years: interest plus every lender fee, using the same loan balance and repayment schedule for each offer. APR is a useful cross-check, but it can be less helpful when your actual comparison period is only the fixed term. Also ask each lender for the assumptions behind its calculation.
 
Is SEK 13,050,000 the purchase price or the amount borrowed? Without the actual loan amount and loan-to-value ratio, 3.30% is difficult to assess. I’d also want to know whether the fee is paid upfront or added to the loan, and what monthly principal repayment is expected.
 
I wouldn’t dismiss APR so quickly. A homemade three-year total can accidentally omit a compulsory fee or treat payment dates differently. Use APR to identify inconsistencies, then calculate your own three-year cash total. If the two comparisons point to different lenders, that is a reason to ask for a full payment schedule rather than choose whichever number looks friendlier.
 
Agreed on needing the actual loan amount. The loan-to-value tier may matter more than a small difference in the headline rate. Elias, ask whether the quoted rate changes if your final valuation, purchase price or deposit changes before completion. A quote sitting close to a tier boundary deserves extra attention.
 
A simple break-even calculation helps with the arrangement fee. Take the fee difference between two offers and divide it by the expected interest saving per month. If it takes nearly the full three years to recover the higher fee, the supposedly cheaper rate offers little benefit—especially if early repayment is possible.
 
Don’t let the cost comparison hide affordability. Put interest, required principal payments, recurring housing costs and any financed fees into one monthly figure. Then run the same budget at a meaningfully higher rate after year three. The fixed period solves today’s payment uncertainty, not the rate-reset risk at the end.
 
The portability wording would be decisive if moving within three years is realistic. “Portable” can still depend on approval of the new property, loan size and circumstances at that time. I’d ask the lender to explain in writing what happens if you sell first, buy a cheaper property, or need to reduce the mortgage. Also request an example of how early-repayment cost would be handled.
 
One distinction from the monthly-budget point: principal repayment affects cash flow, but it isn’t a financing cost in the same way as interest and fees because it reduces the debt. I’d keep two columns—monthly cash leaving the account and true borrowing cost. Otherwise a loan with faster repayment can look artificially expensive.
 
How long is the 3.30% offer valid, and what must happen before it is secured? With a purchase in progress, a low quote is not very useful if it can change before completion. Check whether the rate, fee and loan-to-value tier are all confirmed for the same date and conditions.
 
Good addition. I’d also avoid assuming refinancing will be effortless after three years. Compare the offer as though you might have to remain with that lender at reset, then treat a future switch as an option rather than part of the savings calculation. That makes the downside clearer.
 
Would the lender allow the borrowing to be divided into portions with different fixed periods? I’m not saying that is automatically better—it can complicate a later move or refinance—but it may reduce the risk of the entire balance resetting on one date. Compare any such structure against the single three-year quote using the same fees and repayment assumptions.
 
My practical shortlist would be one page per lender: amount borrowed, loan-to-value used, 3.30% or alternative rate, rate validity, three-year interest, all fees, monthly payment, balance after three years, early-repayment terms and portability conditions. Then add a higher-rate monthly-payment scenario for year four. Any blank cell becomes a question for the lender before signing.
 
One final caveat: the lowest three-year total is not necessarily the best offer if its exit terms are materially worse. Since you already think a sale is possible during the fixed period, I’d compare both a “keep for three years” case and an “exit early” case. The second case may justify paying slightly more for flexibility, depending on the lender’s written terms.
 
Back
Top