Mortgage quote in United Kingdom: 7.87% fixed for 15 years near Birmingham

DirectCairn

Homeowner
Established
I would prefer the certainty of a long fix, but the current offer is difficult to justify: 7.87% fixed for 15 years on a purchase near Birmingham at about £936,000. The headline advertisement looked cheaper, while the arrangement fee and my actual LTV band produced a different result.

I am trying to compare the cost over the period I am likely to keep the loan rather than assuming I will refinance successfully. For example, a lower monthly payment may not be better if a large fee is added to the balance. Which measure would you use for the decision, and how much weight should portability and early-repayment restrictions carry?
 
I’d compare total cost over the period you realistically expect to keep this mortgage, not automatically over 15 years. Put each offer into the same spreadsheet: upfront and added fees, monthly payments, any expected overpayments, and the balance remaining at your chosen comparison date. APR can be informative, but its assumptions may not match your plans.
 
The missing numbers are the loan amount, exact LTV tier, mortgage term and arrangement fee. Also, is the fee paid upfront or added to the borrowing? Adding it can make a modest-looking fee cost more over time. I’d calculate the monthly payment under each offer first, because the cheapest theoretical option is no help if it leaves no comfortable monthly margin.
 
One more point on portability: I wouldn’t treat it as a guarantee that the same mortgage can simply move with you. Ask what happens if the next property, loan size or your circumstances differ. The early-repayment terms may matter more if there is any reasonable chance of moving during such a long fixed period.
 
I partly disagree with choosing a shorter comparison period just because refinancing is common. A 15-year fix is essentially paying for certainty, so assuming an easy or cheaper refinance can understate its value. The fair comparison should include a scenario where future rates are unattractive. That said, certainty becomes expensive if the repayment restrictions prevent you from selling, reducing the balance or changing plans without a substantial cost.
 
That’s fair. I’d run at least three timelines rather than one: staying for the full fixed period, moving earlier, and refinancing at the first plausible opportunity. For each, compare cash paid and the outstanding balance. Cash paid alone can mislead because one product may have lower payments but leave more principal outstanding. Keep the future refinance rate as an adjustable assumption rather than pretending it is known.
 
Also confirm that the paperwork really describes a 15-year fixed period rather than a 15-year total mortgage term. The overall term has not been mentioned, and it changes both the monthly payment and whether there is any rate-reset risk after the fix. I’d ask for side-by-side illustrations using the same loan amount, term and repayment basis.
 
When checking early repayment, don’t stop at the headline charge. Ask how long the restrictions last, whether they reduce over time, and how permitted overpayments are treated. Those details determine whether you can actively reduce the balance during the fix. Then stress-test the quoted monthly payment against ordinary household costs rather than using the lender’s maximum affordability as your target.
 
My practical next step would be to request the full cost breakdown for this 7.87% offer and at least one alternative at the same LTV, then compare them at several dates. Include arrangement fees, monthly payments, interest paid, remaining balance and any cost of leaving early. Keep portability as a useful option, not the deciding factor. If the long fix only wins under one very specific assumption, that is a warning; if it remains affordable across several plausible scenarios, the certainty may justify the price.
 
Back
Top