We need to decide how far to continue with the purchase while the inspections are still under way. The trade-off is becoming clearer: our accepted price of A$881,600 for a 4-bed country home near Sydney looked manageable, but the commute, first mortgage payment and risk of immediate repairs may matter more than the headline figure.
I can see why dated rooms alone should not derail the purchase; those can be dealt with gradually. Less easy to dismiss is what remains after moving costs, insurance, an emergency reserve and any work uncovered during inspection.
How did other first-time buyers turn that uncertainty into a decision? I would also welcome completed-sale comparisons, provided the homes had a similar condition and travel time rather than merely the same bedroom count.
I can see why dated rooms alone should not derail the purchase; those can be dealt with gradually. Less easy to dismiss is what remains after moving costs, insurance, an emergency reserve and any work uncovered during inspection.
How did other first-time buyers turn that uncertainty into a decision? I would also welcome completed-sale comparisons, provided the homes had a similar condition and travel time rather than merely the same bedroom count.